Apr 4, 2014, 9:10 AM EDT
David Beckham has succeeded in bringing Major League Soccer back to Miami, but it seems as though Becks’ biggest fight is still upon him.
Getting plans to build a soccer stadium on PortMiami land is proving problematic, and then some.
On Friday Miami Mayor Thomas Regalado was quoted by the EFE news agency about the project and it is safe to say that he’s a little miffed about plans for Miami’s new MLS franchise to set up shop in land originally earmarked for port expansion only.
“The clause is very specific and very clear from a legal standpoint. It says that if the port’s lands are not used for port purposes then property reverts to the city of Miami,” Regalado said.
According to the report, Regalado has no intentions of taking the ownership group to court, however he wants the people of Miami to vote on how to use the land. That process would likely hold up Becks’ stunning stadium plans that were revealed last month, as red tape has already embroiled Miami’s newest major league sports franchise.
The deeds for the parcel of land Beckham wants to build on were handed over almost 20 years ago, and if PortMiami does not use the land specifically for port functions then the city of Miami will take the land back. That could throw a huge spanner into the works, and scupper any stadium deal on the waterfront in downtown MIA. Several cruise lines have expressed concern over the proposed development, with worries over increased traffic and other factors. However it has also been revealed by county spokesman Fernando Figueredo that the piece of land Becks’ people want to build the stadium on cannot be used for cruise liners or cargo ships, as the water is too shallow.
All of this adds up to a major headache for Beckham’s crew, but I’m sure the city of Miami, PortMiami and Becks’ consortium can come to some kind of arrangement to get this deal over the line.
If not, it’s back to the drawing… and fast.
- US Open Cup draw: Sounders-Timbers, NYCFC-NY Cosmos highlight possible 4th-round clashes 0
- Agent: Sterling wouldn’t sign new Liverpool deal, even for $1.4 million a week 6
- Leicester, QPR, Burnley players earn England call-ups for June matches 2
- US Open Cup second round wrap: Several USL sides clipped by “minnows” 1
- Mats Hummels rejects Manchester United move, will stay at Dortmund 5
- Wayne Rooney on Manchester United’s season: We have met our main goals 1