Apr 4, 2014, 7:44 AM EST
Last summer AS Monaco splashed the cash to get Radamel Falcao on board, but everyone always thought the Colombian striker might not stay in the principality for too long.
Chelsea, Paris Saint-Germain and plenty of other super wealthy clubs have been lining up bids for Falcao this season, now Manchester City want in.
According to a report from the Manchester Evening News, City’s director of football Txiki Begiristain met with Falcao’s representatives in Madrid earlier this week with a view to signing the 28-year-old.
Monaco signed Falcao for $75 million from Atletico Madrid at the start of this season, and the lethal striker is currently recovering from an ACL injury which has put his appearance at this summer’s World Cup in jeopardy.
Ask yourself this question: do Man City really need another world class striker? Their answer, probably, ‘you can never have enough.’
With Sergio Aguero, Edin Dzeko, Stevan Jovetic and Alvaro Negredo on board, it is hard to see where Falcao will fit in. However Manuel Pellegrini has had to play many games without first-choice striker Aguero this campaign, as the Argentine has played in 28 games and has scored 26 times. Dzeko and Negredo have both been able back ups, with the former netting 20 times for the Citizens and the latter scoring 26 times. However both have gone though lean spells — Negredo has currently gone 11 games without a goal — and the injury-hit start to Jovetic’s career has seen the Citizens looking a little thin up top.
If Falcao decides to switch Ligue 1 contenders Monaco for the Premier League, many thought Chelsea were his favored team. But if City come calling with astronomical wages and match Monaco’s asking price, it will be hard for the Colombian hot-shot to turn down a move to the Etihad. If that does happen, Falcao and Aguero would be one of the deadliest partnerships in world soccer.
- PHOTOS: LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, Montreal Impact, Chicago Fire unveil new 2015 jerseys 1
- WATCH: Midweek Premier League TV schedule – Week 28 0
- 2015 MLS predictions: Cup winners? MVP? Lampard or Gerrard? Kaka or Giovinco? 2
- MLS Atlanta makes shrewd hire, bringing in Carlos Bocanegra as technical director 0
- BBC report: Sunderland’s Adam Johnson arrested on suspicion of sex with a 15-year-old girl 4
- Premier League Playback: Why Manchester City are throwing away the title 0