Apr 4, 2014, 3:27 PM EDT
Despite interest from French giants Paris Saint-Germain, it appears that striker Miralem Pjanic will likely stay in the Italian capital.
According to Gazzetto dello Sport, the two sides are even closer to extending the 24-year-old.
With no extension agreed to as of yet and his contract expiring in 2015, rumors have flown all year about his departure. However, he has stated over and again his intentions to stay at Stadio Olimpico.
“My contract? There will certainly be an agreement, at least I hope so,” the Bosnian told Gazzetto yesterday. “I do not know when. [Roma manager Rudi] Garcia and I talked with the club. I will say it for the hundredth time, I am happy here.”
The new deal will reportedly run through the summer of 2018, and has apparently been held up mostly due to a disagreement over a release clause. That has now reportedly been set agreed to at $41 million (€30 million).
Pjanic has fit nicely into the 5-man Roma V-midfield, often playing just in front of Kevin Strootman (before his injury) or Daniello de Rossi, and behind Gervinho and Mattia Destro on the wings.
Garcia has deployed a number of different formations to fit all his weapons in, which include the aforementioned trio plus Radja Nainggolan in the midfield and captain Francesco Totti in the front. In fact, Garcia has filled out so many different teamsheets that Gervinho has even played up front at the head of the attack, and Pjanic has occasionally been forced back into the central midfield.
It’s worked, however, with Roma sitting second in the Serie A table behind all but confirmed champions Juventus, and nine points above Napoli in third.
- Three things we learned from Chelsea’s win vs. Manchester United 0
- Chelsea 1-0 Manchester United: Hazard leads defensive Blues past Red Devils 0
- Arsenal 2-1 Reading: Alexis helps Gunners clinch FA Cup final berth 0
- Stoke City 2-1 Southampton: Adam’s goal seals comeback; dashes Saints top four hopes 1
- Leicester City 2-0 Swansea City: Pearson’s Foxes dominant in massive win 0
- Watch Live: Chelsea vs. Manchester United (Lineups and Live Stream) 0