Poyet shocked Sunderland not docked points for ineligible player

Apr 4, 2014, 7:36 PM EST

Poyet AP

There was a mini uproar when Sunderland were let off with just a fine for what they called a “technical fault.”

Even manager Gus Poyet was surprised – no, stunned – that no Premier League points were docked for playing Ji Dong-Won while ineligible.

Poyet called it “unbelievable” and “incredible” that the 19th-placed club got away unscathed on the table.  Despite the club “admitting no wrongdoing,” the Uruguayan gave off a very different vibe.

Recalling his time as manager of Brighton and Hove Albion, Poyet pointed to an incident where opponents Hartlepool were docked three points for fielding an ineligible player.

“I’m not saying we [Sunderland] should have been docked points, but I would understand if we had,” Poyet admitted to English media. “That day they didn’t give me the three points. Now why would you go the other way? Now, in England you should give it to Southampton, but why are you going to change it now?”

In a refreshing bit of honesty, Poyet stayed true to his sentiments felt while at Brighton.

“It’s incredible. The rules should be clear. It should be one rule. For me or against me, [it needs to be] clear. I am not a hypocrite. I still believe the same as I did then, I’m not going to change.”

Finally, when asked if he would be upset were he on the other side of the incident, he answered, “If they are like me, yes I would.”

His comments are very contradictory to the club’s statement released just a few hours before, stating:

“The club has never accepted any wrongdoing,” Sunderland released in a statement, “but did acknowledge that a technical fault occurred and as such, were fined by the Premier League accordingly in December. The matter is now closed.”

Poyet is glad the information was eventually released, but with the fine coming down in December for what the league declared was a “low-level administrative error” he wondered why the team did not make the information public sooner.

“I don’t know why the club didn’t say anything,” the 46-year-old said. “It wasn’t my decision. It had nothing to do with me. I’m pleased there was a statement today because why should I explain something that was nothing to do with me.”

Ji played in four Premier League matches in 2013 along with one Capital One Cup game while ineligible under international transfer regulations.  They picked up one PL point during that time. Their opponents in the Capital One Cup match, MK Dons, released a statement to say they would not be pursuing any legal action.

However, West Bromwich Albion told the Guardian they would seek “further clarification” from the Premier League before deciding whether they would seek legal action. It is thought that if Sunderland avoid relegation by the point earned over the time of Ji’s ineligibility, other relegated teams could make moves.

Latest Posts
  1. New England Revolution, 90 minutes from MLS Cup, must simply avoid second-leg disaster vs. Red Bulls

Nov 27, 2014, 11:15 PM EST

Steve Clark, Lee Nguyen, Charlie Davies Steve Clark, Lee Nguyen, Charlie Davies

It’s been a long time since the New England Revolution lost by mulitple goals, which the New York Red Bulls must achieve to reach MLS Cup 2014.

2. Europa League roundup: Spurs, Celtic advance; Inter Milan, Fiorentina clinch top spots

Nov 27, 2014, 9:26 PM EST

The big Europa League sides have begun to advance to the knockout round, with a few more very close to joining them.

3. Everton win Europa League group, qualify for knockout round

Nov 27, 2014, 4:09 PM EST

Toffees seal spot in Europa League knockout rounds after terrific away day display.

4. Five investigated, including three FIFA execs, in World Cup corruption probe

Nov 27, 2014, 3:17 PM EST

64th FIFA Congress 64th FIFA Congress

Three FIFA ExCo members and German legend latest to be under the spotlight.

5. Pele moved to “special care” unit as treatment continues

Nov 27, 2014, 2:05 PM EST

Edson Arantes do Nascimento, Pele AP

Brazilian legend hospitalized for second time this month.

6. English FA charge Dave Whelan after anti-Semitic, racist comments

Nov 27, 2014, 1:15 PM EST

Barnsley v Wigan Athletic - Sky Bet Championship Getty Images

Whelan charged by FA over accusations of anti-Semitic, racist remarks.

7. VIDEO: PST Extra examines huge top four showdowns in Premier League

Nov 27, 2014, 10:55 AM EST

Hull City v Tottenham Hotspur - Premier League Getty Images

Can Spurs and Everton make a top four charge? Will Saints stun Man City?

8. Huge blow for Arsenal as Jack Wilshere is out for three months

Nov 27, 2014, 9:13 AM EST

Wilshere AP

Wilshere has surgery on left ankle, as young midfielder set for another lengthy spell on the sidelines.

9. Bob Bradley talks Stabaek, job offers, offseason plans and more

Nov 27, 2014, 8:51 AM EST

Bradley, Stabaek

Bradley opens up about his first season at Stabaek, his future in Europe and much more.

10. USA drop five places in latest FIFA world rankings; England on the up

Nov 27, 2014, 7:28 AM EST

Ireland US Soccer AP

Klinsmann’s men drop further in FIFA’s latest rankings.

11. Arsene Wenger hails his team’s attitude, Sanogo and the path forward

Nov 26, 2014, 10:30 PM EST

FBL-EUR-C1-ARSENAL-ANDERLECHT-TRAINING Getty Images

Wenger was in good spirits following his side’s victory that put an end to his two-match losing skid.

12. Ross Barkley Divegate: Why Martinez defends him and what it means

Nov 26, 2014, 9:50 PM EST

Everton v West Ham United - Premier League Getty Images

Yes, Barkley dove and yes, (news flash) Martinez is overly protective of his players.

13. Cesc Fabregas claims he’s playing the best football of his life

Nov 26, 2014, 8:32 PM EST

Let's talk about Cesc... Getty Images

“I feel that right now I am playing some of the best football of my career,” Fabregas said.

14. Emile Heskey offers himself to Leicester City to help scoring woes

Nov 26, 2014, 7:38 PM EST

FBL-ENG-PR-DISCRIMINATION-HESKEY-SIN

“It goes without saying, I’d love to come,” Heskey told BBC Radio Leicester.

15. Franck Ribery lashes out at “politics” behind the Ballon d’Or

Nov 26, 2014, 6:44 PM EST

gareth_bale_franck_ribery AP

Poor Franck. All fired up and not even on the 23-man shortlist.

16. Despite their struggles, Liverpool’s season intact as spirit shines through

Nov 26, 2014, 6:00 PM EST

Can Liverpool build off this draw in Sofia? Their manager Brendan Rodgers has cause for optimism.

PST Extra: Top 4 showdowns on Sunday