Apr 4, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
With Real Madrid suddenly three points back of the top spot in La Liga, Carlo Ancelotti has determined he can still rest Cristiano Ronaldo for their trip to 6th placed Real Sociedad.
After recent losses to Barcelona and Sevilla, Madrid are now in third place, three back of cross-town rivals Atletico Madrid in first, and two back of second-placed Barcelona.
However, Ancelotti says he will rest a “tired” Ronaldo who “has a bit of a problem” according to the manager.
The Portugese star limped off the first leg of their Champions League win over Borussia Dortmund in the 80th minute. The second leg is next Wednesday, with Real Madrid owning a 3-0 lead. Ancelotti called the substitution “precautionary.”
Ancelotti, against normal protocol, approached reporters at training earlier this morning to inform them “Cristiano is ok” despite not appearing at practice.
“I have spoken with him and we decided together it was best for him to rest,” Ancelotti said later at his press conference. “It’s normal he wants to play all the games, but there was no problem. He has played a lot of consecutive games. We just want him to rest, to avoid risks, as we have a lot of important games coming up.”
Along with their second leg against Dortmund, Madrid have their Copa del Rey final against Barcelona looming on April 16th.
- Everton willing to set club transfer record to bring Lukaku back 3
- Arsenal on the verge of signing Calum Chambers from Southampton 1
- Knee injury will keep Lallana out of Liverpool’s Premier League opener 0
- A quick guide to who’s come and gone from Premier League teams 2
- Didier Drogba has officially rejoined Jose Mourinho at Chelsea 4
- FIFA says World Cup will stay in Russia, “can achieve positive change” 9