Apr 4, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT
Chris Wondolowki scored the USMNT’s second goal against Mexico on Wednesday, and everyone went ga-ga.
It was, after all, his ninth international goal in his last 10 matches.
But some still don’t believe the poacher-by-trade brings enough to the squad to earmark a trip to the World Cup this summer, arguing he’s too one-dimensional.
Our partners at Soccerly have argued against Wondolowski’s inclusion for Jurgen Klinsmann’s summer squad.
What a terrific goal from Chris Wondolowski in Phoenix on Wednesday night to help the U.S. earn a ‘tale of two halves’ draw with Mexico.
He did what he does best – he’s a relentless runner with a very good goalscoring instinct. He drifted behind a Mexican defender, anticipated a potential scoring area, and found net with a skillful poke off of Michael Bradley’s header.
It was great stuff. But here’s another question – was his name mentioned once during the broadcast outside of the goal? Did he hold up the ball well for his teammates to get upfield? Did he go at defenders with trickery and pace? Did he connect with Dempsey often to provide his scoring partner with opportunities?
The answer is ‘no,’ and it’s for this reason that Wondo will not be making the trip to Brazil.
The point is a fair one, but Wondolowski’s good form may be too much for Jurgen Klinsmann to pass up. Will he get smothered by a complete squad like Germany or Portugal? Or will he provide an outlet should the US find a break or two?
Do you think his recent flurry of goals dating back to last summer’s Gold Cup warrants a place in the squad? Or do you believe the likes of Jozy Altidore, Aron Johannsson, and Eddie Johnson would be more useful against more difficult opponents?
- The world wants Laura Bassett to know that her own goal is nothing to be ashamed of… 0
- Minnesota United misses MLS stadium deadline; Deputy commissioner speaks out 2
- Stoppage-time own goal sinks England, sends Japan to Women’s World Cup final 5
- Stars of CONCACAF: Ranking the top 10 players at the 2015 Gold Cup 7
- “Angel Di Maria has most talent at Manchester United,” says teammate. Agree? 10
- VIDEO: Breaking down the done deals and transfer gossip in PST Extra 0