Apr 5, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT
The last week has been a lot better for Manchester United and David Moyes, as the Red Devils are now three-games unbeaten heading into their biggest match of the season.
That comes off the back of their impressive 1-1 midweek draw with Bayern Munich in the quarterfinals of the UEFA Champions League, as Moyes shuffled his squad superbly away at St. James’ Park in order to prepare his team for their huge clash in Bavaria on Wednesday.
Speaking to reporters after the game, Moyes shared his delight at the Red Devils’ performance as he hailed the quality of the display and singled out individuals for praise.
“Juan Mata got us a couple of goals and was involved in the final one for Adnan Januzaj as well. Mata was terrific and so were Shinji Kagawa and Darren Fletcher. We had some great performances today. I always believed I had options and a squad of players who could come in and play. I’ve said all season that we have a really good squad of players and we showed that today. They played well and deserved the victory.”
The win momentarily moves United up to sixth in the Premier League, as they are now just seven points behind fourth placed Arsenal with five games to go. The Gunners have a game in hand on United and Tottenham have a game in hand on and are one point behind them, but it has been a much better end to the season for Moyes’ men than many expected. So, now their focus switches solely to the Champions League and their showdown clash at the Allianz Arena against Bayern. With the score tied at 1-1, it is a one-off match for a place in the last four that’s sure to be a tremendously nervy night.
Moyes rested David De Gea and Nemanja Vidic, who were both on the bench, and Wayne Rooney is an injury doubt with an injured toe. But Moyes’ tactic to shuffle his squad worked well, as now Bayern await in United’s date with destiny in the Champions League.
“The focus could only be on this game but you could see we’ve left a few players at home and not played a few players.,” Moyes said. “We are hoping they will be fit for Wednesday night’s game at Bayern Munich.”
- Done Deals: Recapping Man United (and others’) busy day — De Gea drama; Chicharito out; $56 million for Martial 0
- Report: De Gea moving to Madrid as Costa Rican hero Navas heads to Old Trafford 4
- Fireworks as transfer deadline passes in Germany: Draxler to Wolfsburg, Januzaj to Dortmund 1
- Premier League Playback: It’s time to change the Transfer Window rules 2
- Draxler, Pogba, Januzaj headline 10 deals to monitor as we near Transfer Deadline Day 1
- Manchester United to add new $56 million striker as Monaco’s Martial leaves France duty 1