Apr 6, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
Brian Perk waited a long time for his first save on Sunday, but not nearly as long as he waited for his first Major League Soccer win.
Perk’s 81st minute save was Chivas USA’s first shot on target as the Los Angeles Galaxy cruised to a 3-0 win over its cross-town rivals.
It was the Galaxy’s first win of the season, and came in Perk’s second start of the season. The 24-year-old has been with L.A. since 2011 but has appeared sparingly.
Now, he has a first win and a second MLS clean sheet to his name.
The win pushes L.A. past Portland and into 7th in the West, one point behind the surprising Goats. Chivas USA was out-of-sorts all afternoon and didn’t really have say until well-after the game was all-but-dusted.
Landon Donovan did not score, and his 135 goals remain tied with Jeff Cunningham atop the all-time MLS regular season goals list.
The Galaxy truly should’ve struck first after a brilliant ball from Robbie Keane — and matching run from Marcelo Sarvas — found Sarvas one-on-one with Dan Kennedy, but a tricky first touch ended with the striker lofting the ball wide of the goal.
L.A. found the true first goal when Dan Gargan’s cross forced a collision between Keane and Kennedy, with the Galaxy forward coming away with the ball and the empty-net tally.
Stefan Ishikazi made it 2-0 in the 42nd minute when he carried the ball deep into the box down the left side before a silly-angled shot beat Kennedy to make the “SuperClasico” a two-goal game.
Life was good for the visitors after strong combination play between Keane and Landon Donovan ended with a lay-off to Baggio Husidic, who drilled in a low shot in the 57th minute to make it 3-0 in favor of Los Galácticos.
Wearing a protective helmet, Perk was rarely troubled in pursuit of his milestone win. The US men’s U-17, U-18 and U-20 veteran didn’t see much action until late in the match.
- PST Extra: Who are the Premier League’s top offseason acquisitions so far? (video) 0
- Premier League defenders: Who’s in our Top Five? And how to choose just five? 5
- Maps, rivals, stadiums: Location of all 20 Premier League teams for 2015-16 season 4
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 3