Apr 7, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT
Jozy Atlidore’s desperate season at Sunderland is getting worse. Is that even possible?
On Monday against Tottenham Hotspur, Altidore was not included in Gus Poyet’s 18-man match day squad as the American forward’s dismal season has hit a new low.
Altidore is playing for Sunderland against Tottenham on Monday… but for their U-21 side at the Stadium of Light.
Last time out the 23-year-old U.S. international striker was named on the Black Cats’ bench against West Ham, but didn’t make an appearance. So far this season Altidore has made 36 appearances in all competitions but has scored just twice, with his last goal coming on December 4 against Chelsea.
Update: After speaking with Sunderland manager Gus Poyet following the 5-1 defeat to Spurs, the Uruguayan told me “It was my decision… just my decision” when I asked him why Altidore had been excluded from the 18-man squad. He was miffed, understandably so after a heavy defeat, but brushed aside other questions on Altidore.
With the World Cup on the horizon, Altidore’s worrying decline in the Premier League continues to concern U.S. national team fans. After a season full of struggle and torment, jumping on and off the bench and now being left off it altogether, has Altidore got a future with relegation haunted Sunderland? He needs a move to reignite his career, as the USA’s main man up top needs to be playing regularly.
Even if the Mackems managed to stay in the top-flight this season, expect Altidore to be on the move from the Stadium of Light if this continues. Poyet’s flippant attitude towards Altidore’s exclusion from the first-team squad, and his subsequent demotion to the U-21 side, shows exactly where the U.S. striker is at with the Sunderland boss.
- Klinsmann on USMNT’s win over Guatemala: “I’m not happy with that performance” 1
- 2011 Women’s World Cup final loss still burns in Abby Wambach’s memory 1
- USMNT player ratings: How Klinsmann’s men fared against Guatemala 1
- USA 4-0 Guatemala: USMNT cruises into Gold Cup with win in Nashville 0
- World players’ union FIFPro opens door to women for first time in 50-year history 0
- How will USMNT line up vs. Guatemala in final pre-Gold Cup friendly? 3