Apr 7, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Out-of-favor Portuguese winger Nani is one of the players prepared to leave Manchester United this summer, according to an Italian report.
Nani’s agent told Violanews.com that the 27-year-old midfielder is “likely to leave Manchester” while admitting that the player’s salary is going to cause problems for clubs looking to acquire him.
The report links ACF Fiorentina as a possible landing spot, where he could join former United teammate Anderson if the Brazilian makes his stay in Florence permanent. The Tuscan club also has former Red Devils player Giuseppe Rossi, who is injured.
According to the BBC, Nani’s agent said:
“Our relationship with United is great. Fiorentina have to speak with Manchester United about Anderson and maybe there will be an opportunity to talk about Nani too.”
Yet to score in just nine Premier League appearances under David Moyes, Nani did score in his lone UEFA Champions League start. His numbers have dipped drastically after tremendous PL campaigns in 2010/11 and 2011/12.
In the former season, Nani had 9 goals and 14 assists in 33 PL matches, following it up with 8 goals and 10 assists in 29 PL appearances. He’s failed to live up to those lofty standards, battling injuries and ineffective play over the last two seasons.
- New York City FC to announce “major signing” on Thursday… Frank Lampard? 0
- PHOTOS: What if your college was a professional soccer team? They could look like this 5
- Omar Gonzalez still dreams of Europe but “committed to the Galaxy” 1
- EXCLUSIVE: Luke Shaw speaks out about Manchester United move 3
- Pep Guardiola praises Jurgen Klinsmann’s team concept, USMNT movement 3
- Premier League teams on US Soil: Tuesday’s roundup and look ahead 4