Apr 7, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Both Montreal and Philadelphia raised eyebrows over the weekend when the Impact acquired Jack McInerney in a trade with the Union, effectively giving the Canadian club two of MLS’ top eight goal scorers from a season ago.
The Impact sacrificed Andrew Wenger, the top pick from 2012’s SuperDraft, in order to pick up McInerney. The 23-year-old Wenger is two years senior despite being in his third MLS season compared to JackMac’s five.
McInerney said the trade was “pretty sad and disappointing,” while his former manager John Hackworth said the Union had “evolved.”
When asked if he would have been open to re-signing with Philly, McInerney said “for sure,” and batted down rumors he wished to go elsewhere.
“People were saying that but I was asked if I had the opportunity to go to Europe and I said I would consider it,” McInerney said. “I didn’t say that was something I was going to do. I was happy here in Philly. I didn’t want anything to change at that point.”
McInerney also shot down the rumors that he may have rubbed some teammates the wrong way with his body language during games, saying that “no one has ever said anything to me” and “that’s just kind of how I am on the field.”
McInerney’s 12 goals last season were the 8th-best figure in MLS, and Montreal’s Marco Di Vaio scored a second-best 20.
The advanced stats may bode well for the duo, with both players ranking in the league’s Top 15 forward for Squawka Performance Score. The bad news? Both players hemorrhaged possession, ranking among the league’s worst strikers.
Montreal welcomes Philadelphia to Stade Saputo on April 26 at 4pm ET.
- Klinsmann confirms Brad Guzan will start Confederations Cup playoff in goal 1
- Full list of every transfer made by Premier League clubs during the Summer Transfer Window 0
- Manchester United fires back on De Gea saga, laying blame at feet of Real Madrid 1
- GRADES: How did each Premier League team fare in the Summer Transfer Window? 7
- Manchester United confirm $55 million signing of teenage striker Anthony Martial 0
- Deadline Day transfer rumor roundup: Hector to Chelsea, Berahino to Tottenham 0