Apr 7, 2014, 5:15 PM EST
The 73rd minute of Reading’s match at Charlton was one to remember for both American midfielder Danny Williams and the road supporters, as Williams netted the only goal in the match and leapt into the crowd to celebrate.
It earned him a yellow card and a fine from his coach, but the 25-year-old had to admit he didn’t mind the punishments.
“I don’t mind. If it means I can score a goal, I will jump into the crowd and the manager can fine me, I’m happy with that.
“Saying that, I will talk to him. It was just emotional. I’m a very emotional guy when it comes to football.
“That’s why I’m always saying how important it is that the crowd is behind us. I am a player who really recognises the impact it can have, I feel it on the pitch.
“And I wanted to share my emotions with the fans, because I thought they did a great job. I just wanted to give them something back.”
As for the goal, Reading’s cameramen were in the right place at the right time (and the club hated Williams’ crowd jump so much it’s part of the title on its YouTube post):
The goal was the fourth of the season for Williams, whose Reading club has the sixth and final Championship playoff place and a five-point cushion on four clubs with six matches to go. Performances like this will only keep him in the discussion for a ticket to Brazil with Jurgen Klinsmann’s USMNT.
You’ll also note on The Reading Chronicle’s report that Reading “have signed USA Under 18s striker Andrija Novakovich. The youngster will join the Royals Academy in the summer.”
- Inside Look, MLS Cup Playoffs: How Revs, Galaxy built very different one-goal leads 0
- Recap: LA Galaxy grab 1-0 lead over Seattle Sounders in Western Conference Championship 1
- Despite artificial turf, New York Red Bulls’ Thierry Henry says he’ll play next week at New England 1
- Recap: New England Revolution snatch 2-1 lead, two away goals from New York Red Bulls 6
- Video: Brendan Rodgers says Liverpool needs to “become a team” 1
- Crystal Palace 3-1 Liverpool: Bolasie carves up Liverpool defense 3