Apr 8, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
Javier “Chicharito” Hernandez has not had the first season he envisioned under first-year Manchester United boss David Moyes, and he knows that his club form is being carefully observed by Mexico manager Miguel Herrera ahead of this summer’s World Cup.
So it was good for Chicharito to slide a goal past Newcastle’s Rob Elliot in last weekend’s romp over the lifeless Magpies, and he’s hoping his performance gave Moyes a difficult choice when selecting the roster for Wednesday’s UEFA Champions League quarterfinal deciding match against Bayern Munich.
“It’s been a very hard season for me, but I’m trying to be very patient, and to work to try to speak on the pitch,” he told MUTV after the game on Saturday. “I have nine goals at the moment, so I’ll keep working, be patient and speak on the pitch like I always do.”
Those nine goals are across all competitions, and aren’t bad considering his playing time. Chicharito’s 691 PL minutes are 262 less than he saw in 2012/13 (when he still managed 10 goals). But his four goals in the Premier League make it hard to envision the striker can make it four straight years with double-digit goals in England’s top flight.
But form is so important right now, and these precious minutes over the season’s last month can go a long way as his national team manager evaluates a strike force that includes Hernandez, Oribe Peralta, Giovani dos Santos and Alan Pulido amongst others.
“I’m happy, I played for 90 minutes and it’s a long time since I started a game. The World Cup is coming so I need time to prove, whether they give me one minute or 90, that I’m ready and that I want to contribute to the team to help us have a better season.”
Do you expect Hernandez to be a mainstay on the pitch for Mexico in Brazil this summer, or will his club experience hinder him in pursuit of playing time?
- PST Extra: Who are the Premier League’s top offseason acquisitions so far? (video) 0
- Premier League defenders: Who’s in our Top Five? And how to choose just five? 4
- Maps, rivals, stadiums: Location of all 20 Premier League teams for 2015-16 season 4
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 3