Apr 8, 2014, 8:13 AM EDT
It’s been a long, grueling year for Barcelona center back Carles Puyol, and the Spanish back may defy doctors’ orders in an attempt to help his team reach the UEFA Champions League semifinals, according to Inside Spanish Football.
Puyol, who turns 36 next week, will travel with Tata Martino’s team to Madrid for the second leg of Barca’s quarterfinal tie with Atletico despite having not been cleared by the club’s medical staff.
The defender hasn’t played in a match since March 2. He will take place in the pre-match training session Tuesday night before any decision is made as to whether the back can help Barca’s injured backline, which is missing Gerard Pique.
Puyol and Barca will cut ties this summer after injuries have made him all but an afterthought at Camp Nou this season, opening the door for fresh consideration of a rumored move to Major League Soccer (specifically New York City FC).
His 12 appearances this year are a career-low.
- Chelsea confirms two-year AC Milan loan for striker Fernando Torres 5
- US men to face Honduras in October; USWNT name roster for Mexico 1
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 3 1
- Premier League Preview: Burnley vs. Manchester United 1
- MLS Weekend Preview: Derbies close weekend kicking off off at Sporting Park 1
- Premier League Power Rankings: Familiar faces jostle for the top spot – Week 1 2