Apr 9, 2014, 2:02 PM EDT
Manchester United have been handed a huge boost ahead of the second leg of their UEFA Champions League quarterfinal tie with Bayern Munich: Wayne Rooney is in.
The Red Devils’ main man has been struggling with a toe injury and missed the match against Newcastle United at the weekend, but the 28-year-0ld striker has taken a pain-killing injection in order to play in United’s crucial clash in Bavaria.
Rooney starts alongside Antonio Valencia and Shinji Kagawa in the three attackers behind lone front man Danny Welbeck, as manager David Moyes goes for broke at the Allianz Arena. Following the 1-1 draw at home in the first leg, United’s fans are cautiously optimistic that their side can knock off the reigning European champions.
Bayern, who are without a win in three games, make three changes to their side, as Bastian Schweinsteiger and Javi Martinez are suspended and Rafinha drops out of the starting lineup. Guardiola has brought in central defender Dante, German midfield sensation Mario Gotze and powerhouse forward Mario Mandzukic.
All the latest news from this massive matchup, and elsewhere in the UEFA Champions League, can be found right here at ProSoccerTalk.
Bayern Munich: Neuer, Dante, Boateng, Lahm, Müller, Alaba, Götze, Kroos, Ribéry, Mandzukic, Robben. Subs: Raeder, van Buyten, Rafinha, Pizarro, Weiser, Hojbjerg, Weihrauch
Manchester United: De Gea; Jones, Smalling, Vidic, Evra; Fletcher, Carrick; Valencia, Rooney, Kagawa; Welbeck. Subs: Lindegaard, Büttner, Ferdinand, Giggs, Januzaj, Young, Hernandez
- U-20 World Cup preview: The groups, the favorites, USA outlook and the game’s future stars 1
- Gulati: U.S. Soccer will vote for Prince Ali bin Al-Hussein in FIFA election, not Sepp Blatter 6
- 2014-15 Premier League season review: Summer transfer needs 2
- Premier League 2014-15 review – Top 10 games of the season 4
- By the numbers: 2014-15 Premier League season in review 1
- Sepp Blatter transcript in full; admits “shame and humiliation” of FIFA scandal 4