Apr 10, 2014, 2:11 PM EDT
For the second straight year in a row, Orlando City SC is set to host Serie A powerhouse AS Roma in a friendly match.
“AS Roma are one of the top clubs in the world and we are delighted to have them back in Florida again,” Orlando City president Phil Rawlins said in a statement. “I know our fans will enjoy seeing the Lions take on a world-class team like Roma.”
The Florida club, currently in the USL PRO and slated to join Major League Soccer next season, will host the match at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex on May 23rd. The two sides last met in January 2013 at Rollins College with Roma winning 5-0.
Roma is currently half way through a six-year contract as “the official professional football team” of the Wide World of Sports Complex. Due to renovations at the Citrus Bowl, the facility also serves as Orlando City’s home stadium.
AS Roma CEO Italo Zanzi said that the club was looking forward to the rematch with Orlando. “We are very happy to return to Orlando this year. We look forward to an exciting match with Orlando City – it will be a great complement to our training at Disney’s ESPN Wide World of Sports.”
Tickets to the match went on sale Thursday to Orlando City season ticket holders and will be available to the general public on Saturday at 10:00am ET.
- PST Extra: Who are the Premier League’s top offseason acquisitions so far? (video) 0
- Premier League defenders: Who’s in our Top Five? And how to choose just five? 4
- Maps, rivals, stadiums: Location of all 20 Premier League teams for 2015-16 season 4
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 3