Apr 11, 2014, 6:48 AM EDT
The draw for the UEFA Champions League semifinal was made in Switzerland on Friday, as Premier League side Chelsea managed to dodge two of Europe’s biggest clubs.
Jose Mourinho’s men will face current La Liga leaders, Atletico Madrid, as the Blues will fancy their chances of making the final in Lisbon on May 24.
In the other semifinal tie, a mouth-watering clash awaits between two of European soccer’s heavyweights as Real Madrid square off against reigning champions Bayern Munich.
Chelsea will travel to the Vicente Calderon stadium in the first leg on April 22, to face Diego Simeone’s side who knocked out FC Barcelona at the quarterfinal stage. Diega Costa should be fit after being hit by injury, as the West London club know that as long as they defend well in the first leg, that can bring Atleti back to Stamford Bridge on April 30 with everything to play for. Chelsea are unbeaten in their last 15 clashes with Spanish sides in the Champions League, winning six and drawing nine, and have never lost to Atletico in the UCL.
Real Madrid host Bayern at the Santiago Bernabeu in the first leg of the other semifinal on April 22, as Carlo Ancelotti’s superstar side will come up against the favorites Bayern.What a tie that will be, as Cristiano Ronaldo, Franck Ribery, Gareth Bale and Arjen Robben collide again in the second leg at the Allianz Arena on April 29.
Both semifinal matches will be played later this month, as the first legs will be on April 22/23, with the second legs to be played on April 29/30.
Champions League semifinal draw in full
Real Madrid vs. Bayern Munich
Atletico Madrid vs. Chelsea
- Tuesday’s Top 5 Champions League Goals: Which was the best? 0
- A Klinsmann Casualty? Juan Agudelo passed on by Wolverhampton 3
- Steven Gerrard admits he denied move to Real Madrid and that it may haunt him in the future 1
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Bayern, Chelsea, Shakhtar go crazy on 40-goal night 0
- Chelsea 6-0 Maribor: Hazard brace keeps Blues atop Group G 0
- AS Roma 1-7 Bayern Munich: Sublime Bayern smash Roma to go five points clear in Group E 1