Apr 11, 2014, 12:17 AM EDT
Carli Lloyd scored twice in the opening 23 minutes of the United States women’s national team’s 3-0 win over China on Thursday in San Diego to reach 50 goals in her U.S. career.
Lloyd opened the scoring on a low, driven shot in the 20th minute and then hit a dipping, knuckling left-footed strike three minutes later to double the United States’ lead. The second tally was Lloyd’s 50th of her international career. Lloyd ranks 9th on the all-time U.S. scoring list.
The U.S. women led China 2-0 at halftime in their first game since Tom Sermanni was fired as U.S. coach Sunday, just hours after the Americans defeated China 2-0. Lloyd was one of a few players to discuss Sermanni’s firing, telling NBCSports.com that she was “as shocked as everyone was” to hear the news.
WATCH Carli Lloyd’s two goals below:
UPDATE: It took merely 14 seconds after the start of the second half for Sydney Leroux to score. China’s halftime talk clearly didn’t do much:
- LIVE Transfer Ticker – Deadline Day updates 0
- Reports: Manchester United nearing cut-price loan for Falcao 4
- Toronto FC fire Ryan Nelsen thanks to disappointing position and disparaging comments 1
- Leicester City 1-1 Arsenal: Home side holds strong for draw 3
- Done deal: Chelsea sign Loic Remy from QPR 0
- Tottenham 0-3 Liverpool: Familiar scenes as Reds storm Spurs in London 4