Apr 11, 2014, 12:17 AM EST
Carli Lloyd scored twice in the opening 23 minutes of the United States women’s national team’s 3-0 win over China on Thursday in San Diego to reach 50 goals in her U.S. career.
Lloyd opened the scoring on a low, driven shot in the 20th minute and then hit a dipping, knuckling left-footed strike three minutes later to double the United States’ lead. The second tally was Lloyd’s 50th of her international career. Lloyd ranks 9th on the all-time U.S. scoring list.
The U.S. women led China 2-0 at halftime in their first game since Tom Sermanni was fired as U.S. coach Sunday, just hours after the Americans defeated China 2-0. Lloyd was one of a few players to discuss Sermanni’s firing, telling NBCSports.com that she was “as shocked as everyone was” to hear the news.
WATCH Carli Lloyd’s two goals below:
UPDATE: It took merely 14 seconds after the start of the second half for Sydney Leroux to score. China’s halftime talk clearly didn’t do much:
- Swansea’s Bafetimbi Gomis stretchered off the pitch after appearing to collapse 0
- Watch Live: West Ham United vs. Chelsea (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Watch Live: Newcastle United vs. Manchester United (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- WATCH: Premier League live online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 28 0
- 2015 MLS season preview: FC Dallas 0
- The Western Conference will continue to dominate MLS, and we all know it 0