Apr 12, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
West Bromwich Albion came flying out of the traps at the Hawthorns on Saturday, as Tottenham Hotspur didn’t know what hit them.
First half goals from Matej Vydra, Chris Brunt and Stephane Sessegnon put the Baggies 3-0 up after 30 minutes… but an own goal from Jonas Olsson has given Spurs a chance to launch a remarkable comeback.
West Brom were in dreamland after just 30 seconds of the game, as Morgan Amalfitano set up Vydra to send the Hawthorns wild and stun Spurs. Minutes later it was even better for the Baggies as Steven Reid rampaged down the right and found Brunt at the back post with his cross. The Northern Irishman hammered home a volley, as he marked his return to the team in style.
Tottenham had a perfect chance to pull a goal back in the 15th minute, as Vlad Chiriches was taken down in the box and referee Neil Swarbrick awarded a penalty to Spurs. Emmanuel Adebayor stepped up but saw his weak spot kick saved by Ben Foster as the Baggies held on to their two-goal advantage. That miss spurred the Baggies back into life and Sessegnon finished well to put the hosts 3-0 ahead.
That advantage didn’t last for too long though, as a cross from Aaron Lennon on the right deflected off of Olsson and looped over his own ‘keeper and into the net to make it 3-1 at the Hawthorns.
Watch the second half live online via Live Extra to see if Spurs can grab something from this game, or if the Baggies will bag all three points in their fight against relegation.
- Three things we learned from the USMNT’s late 1-1 draw in Switzerland 0
- Player ratings: Stars and flops for the USMNT in 1-1 draw at Switzerland 5
- Switzerland 1-1 USMNT: Another late equalizer cancels out Shea’s stunner 2
- VIDEO: Watch Brek Shea’s stunning free kick for USA against Switzerland 2
- Lineups out for USMNT vs. Switzerland: Williams, Morales, Shea come in; diamond in midfield 2
- VIDEO: Watch Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale dominate NBA’s half court challenge 0