Apr 13, 2014, 5:14 PM EST
Though Atlético Madrid’s 2-0 win Sunday at Getafe left Atleti in better standing in La Liga’s table, the Colchoneros quest for Spanish and European titles may have taken a major blow in the 84th minute of today’s visit to the Alfonso Pérez. After scoring his team’s second goal of the match, Diego Costa, the team’s leading scorer, had to be stretched from the field, his collision with the left post coming after the Spain international had sealed Atlético’s victory.
Sliding for a ball sent toward Getafe’s left post, Costa’s redirection led to his 26th goal of the league season. The second part of the play, however, saw the Atlético number nine collide with the upright at full speed, leaving striker unable to leave under his own power.
The victory allowed Atléitco to build on the one-point lead it carried into the weekend, but with the team’s most dangerous attacker stretchered from the field, Atlético’s weekend may have been a step backwards, overall. Though they advanced past Barcelona in UEFA Champions League without much help from their dangerman, moving past Chelsea should prove more difficult, especially if Atlético plans on holding off second place Real Madrid in the process.
Atlético hosts Elche next weekend before facing Chelsea on April 22, the first game of the teams’ two-leg Champions League semifinal.
- Watch Live: Stoke City vs. Chelsea (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- 2014’s Top Ten moments in Premier League – Numbers 10-6 0
- NBC Sports to air first-ever “Premier League Breakaway” show on New Year’s Day 0
- DeAndre Yedlin granted work permit, heading to Tottenham Hotspur 3
- Geoff Cameron: Eden Hazard is “best I’ve played against” in Premier League 0
- Liverpool 2-2 Arsenal: Wounded Skrtel turns away Gunners at the death (video) 1