Apr 13, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
Though Atlético Madrid’s 2-0 win Sunday at Getafe left Atleti in better standing in La Liga’s table, the Colchoneros quest for Spanish and European titles may have taken a major blow in the 84th minute of today’s visit to the Alfonso Pérez. After scoring his team’s second goal of the match, Diego Costa, the team’s leading scorer, had to be stretched from the field, his collision with the left post coming after the Spain international had sealed Atlético’s victory.
Sliding for a ball sent toward Getafe’s left post, Costa’s redirection led to his 26th goal of the league season. The second part of the play, however, saw the Atlético number nine collide with the upright at full speed, leaving striker unable to leave under his own power.
The victory allowed Atléitco to build on the one-point lead it carried into the weekend, but with the team’s most dangerous attacker stretchered from the field, Atlético’s weekend may have been a step backwards, overall. Though they advanced past Barcelona in UEFA Champions League without much help from their dangerman, moving past Chelsea should prove more difficult, especially if Atlético plans on holding off second place Real Madrid in the process.
Atlético hosts Elche next weekend before facing Chelsea on April 22, the first game of the teams’ two-leg Champions League semifinal.
- Report: Diego Costa could be out four to six weeks with hamstring injury 0
- Transfer needs – Everton, Hull, Leicester, Liverpool, Manchester City 1
- Olivier Giroud undergoes ankle surgery, out 3-4 months for Arsenal 0
- $410 million Las Vegas soccer stadium deal closer; next stop, Major League Soccer… 13
- Report: Arsenal bid $82 million for Edinson Cavani. Remy, Falcao, Welbeck linked 9
- Confirmed: Neil Warnock takes over at Crystal Palace; what will he bring? 0