Apr 13, 2014, 9:38 AM EDT
While Liverpool and Manchester City try to make sure Chelsea’s 2014 is Premier League-title free, the Blues are doing some work to ensure future titles go their way.
Atletico Madrid super striker Diego Costa has a release clause that’s reportedly more than $53 million, and Jose Mourinho’s club is ready to splash the cash to move him to Stamford Bridge (Spanish report / English).
Adding to the intrigue is the destiny of both club’s UEFA Champions League campaigns run through each other in this month’s semifinals. Costa has 25 goals in 29 La Liga matches, and has added 7 in six UEFA Champions League matches. All-in-all, he’s netted 33 times in 43 appearances for club and country this season.
- Watch Live: Manchester United vs. Inter Milan (Lineups and Discuss) 0
- Liverpool complete $17 million signing of Belgian striker Divock Origi 1
- Tim Howard joins NBC Sports’ Premier League broadcast team on multi-year deal 11
- VIDEO: US stars fight – Omar Gonzalez vs. Clint Dempsey, DeAndre Yedlin 6
- Manchester United’s Luke Shaw trains on his own, told he’s “not fit enough” 2
- MLS Snapshot: Seattle Sounders 0-3 LA Galaxy 3