Apr 13, 2014, 9:38 AM EDT
While Liverpool and Manchester City try to make sure Chelsea’s 2014 is Premier League-title free, the Blues are doing some work to ensure future titles go their way.
Atletico Madrid super striker Diego Costa has a release clause that’s reportedly more than $53 million, and Jose Mourinho’s club is ready to splash the cash to move him to Stamford Bridge (Spanish report / English).
Adding to the intrigue is the destiny of both club’s UEFA Champions League campaigns run through each other in this month’s semifinals. Costa has 25 goals in 29 La Liga matches, and has added 7 in six UEFA Champions League matches. All-in-all, he’s netted 33 times in 43 appearances for club and country this season.
- EURO 2016 qualifying roundup: Germany back on track; Portugal beat Serbia, go top 0
- Report: Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner set to sell team to UK group 0
- MLS roundup: Whitecaps, D.C. United win late ones; FCD, Sounders in disappointing draw 1
- MLS Snapshot: FC Dallas 0-0 Seattle Sounders 0
- MLS Snapshot: Vancouver Whitecaps 2-1 Portland Timbers 2
- MLS Snapshot: D.C. United 1-0 LA Galaxy 1