Apr 13, 2014, 9:38 AM EST
While Liverpool and Manchester City try to make sure Chelsea’s 2014 is Premier League-title free, the Blues are doing some work to ensure future titles go their way.
Atletico Madrid super striker Diego Costa has a release clause that’s reportedly more than $53 million, and Jose Mourinho’s club is ready to splash the cash to move him to Stamford Bridge (Spanish report / English).
Adding to the intrigue is the destiny of both club’s UEFA Champions League campaigns run through each other in this month’s semifinals. Costa has 25 goals in 29 La Liga matches, and has added 7 in six UEFA Champions League matches. All-in-all, he’s netted 33 times in 43 appearances for club and country this season.
- Liverpool 2-2 Arsenal: Wounded Skrtel turns away Gunners at the death (video) 1
- Arsene Wenger says Arsenal could spend big in January, if the deals are right 0
- Real Madrid outclass San Lorenzo, win 2014 Club World Cup 6
- Premier League Sunday preview: Loaded morning sees Tyne-Wear Derby and Liverpool vs. Arsenal 0
- Premier League roundup: Goals galore as Saints, Tottenham, QPR, Man City win 0
- WATCH: Match of the Day – Recap Saturday’s madness in the Premier League 0