Apr 13, 2014, 9:38 AM EDT
While Liverpool and Manchester City try to make sure Chelsea’s 2014 is Premier League-title free, the Blues are doing some work to ensure future titles go their way.
Atletico Madrid super striker Diego Costa has a release clause that’s reportedly more than $53 million, and Jose Mourinho’s club is ready to splash the cash to move him to Stamford Bridge (Spanish report / English).
Adding to the intrigue is the destiny of both club’s UEFA Champions League campaigns run through each other in this month’s semifinals. Costa has 25 goals in 29 La Liga matches, and has added 7 in six UEFA Champions League matches. All-in-all, he’s netted 33 times in 43 appearances for club and country this season.
- Real Madrid sign James Rodriguez for $107 million 2
- Xavi Hernández reportedly inching closer to New York City FC 10
- New report kicks off another round of Las Vegas expansion talk for MLS 2
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Sporting Kansas City’s Benny Feilhaber 0
- Qatar/Russia World Cup bidding investigation delayed until September 6
- Report: Bayern Munich confirms Julian Green on first team for US trip 10