Apr 13, 2014, 7:13 PM EDT
Manchester City’s visit to Liverpool lived up to the hype, a remarkable feat given the extent to which Premier League followers had pined for Sunday’s match. Ever since Liverpool overtook Chelsea at the top of the league, City’s visit to Anfield had been circled on the calendar – the match where Liverpool could render the Citizens’ matches in hand irrelevant.
One Vincent Kompany mistake, two momentum swings, and five goals later, Liverpool had a seven-point gap on City, a result that sets up another Match of the Season candidate. In two weeks, second place Chelsea visits Anfield with a chance to reclaim first place in the Premier League, a match that could also see Liverpool jump its last major hurdle en route to its first Premier League crown.
For much of the Blues’ day in Wales, however, their status was in doubt, with José Mourinho’s side unable to take advantage of Chico Flores’s early dismissal. Mid-way through in the second half, however, Demba Ba proved heroic once more, with the Sengalese striker building on his mid-week heroics with the day’s only goal.
Here (above) are the highlights from your Premier League Sunday.
- Omar Gonzalez still dreams of Europe but “committed to the Galaxy” 0
- EXCLUSIVE: Luke Shaw speaks out about Manchester United move 1
- Pep Guardiola praises Jurgen Klinsmann’s team concept, USMNT movement 1
- Premier League teams on US Soil: Tuesday’s roundup and look ahead 4
- Racial incident against Man City’s Fofana ends U-21 match in Croatia 0
- Sorting through the most recent DaMarcus Beasley-to-MLS reports 3