Apr 13, 2014, 7:13 PM EDT
Manchester City’s visit to Liverpool lived up to the hype, a remarkable feat given the extent to which Premier League followers had pined for Sunday’s match. Ever since Liverpool overtook Chelsea at the top of the league, City’s visit to Anfield had been circled on the calendar – the match where Liverpool could render the Citizens’ matches in hand irrelevant.
One Vincent Kompany mistake, two momentum swings, and five goals later, Liverpool had a seven-point gap on City, a result that sets up another Match of the Season candidate. In two weeks, second place Chelsea visits Anfield with a chance to reclaim first place in the Premier League, a match that could also see Liverpool jump its last major hurdle en route to its first Premier League crown.
For much of the Blues’ day in Wales, however, their status was in doubt, with José Mourinho’s side unable to take advantage of Chico Flores’s early dismissal. Mid-way through in the second half, however, Demba Ba proved heroic once more, with the Sengalese striker building on his mid-week heroics with the day’s only goal.
Here (above) are the highlights from your Premier League Sunday.
- Liverpool 0-3 West Ham United: Hammers stun Reds at Anfield in fiery encounter 0
- Chelsea 1-2 Crystal Palace: Blues stunned at home by Eagles 3
- Manchester City 2-0 Watford: Sterling scores, hosts make history in comfortable win 0
- Watch Live: Tottenham Hotspur vs. Everton (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- WATCH: Callum Wilson’s bicycle kick lifts Bournemouth into an early lead 0
- Newcastle United 0-1 Arsenal: Gunners play up a man 74 minutes, need own goal to win 0