WATCH: Anfield crowd’s incredibly stirring “You’ll Never Walk Alone”

Apr 13, 2014, 9:05 AM EDT

The hardest of hearts could be softened at least a touch by this morning’s remarkably moving version of “You’ll Never Walk Alone” sung by the home crowd at Anfield ahead of Liverpool’s huge match with Manchester City, just more than 25 years after the Hillsborough tragedy.

Let’s take a break for words and go to the splendid audio/visual. Enjoy…

For those seeking out background, our own Joe Prince-Wright wrote this piece entitled “How Hillsborough altered English soccer,” and all Premier League clubs observed or will observe a minute of silence and kick-off seven minutes late on the weekend.

1. godsholytrousers - Apr 13, 2014 at 2:58 PM

I cried. There I said it. Beautiful moment for football.

2. sl500x - Apr 13, 2014 at 4:28 PM

I witnessed the tradgedy in 89
    I too cried as it all came flooding back this famous remakable dignified day
    Liverpool couldnt have paid any greater honour to the 96 than by the way they played the way they won the game and how the crowd united as one to back the team club as it continues to fly on this huge cloud of belief and will win the league at last after 24 years .
    Liverpool you are unique in every way the greatest most famous team in football the world has ever seen
    Cmon on you reds.
    Believe.

3. footballer4ever - Apr 13, 2014 at 7:24 PM

I did not cry, but not because i was insensitive; However, i could feel the moment and significance of the monent while YNWA was sang. To the families who suffered their deaths, i hope all their pain /sorrows have lessened by the rememberance/tributes and everything done to find justice and which caused for this tragedy not to be repeated again.

4. eroc3927 - Apr 14, 2014 at 12:13 PM

This moment gave me goose bumps

5. mdpickles - Apr 14, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Still have chills/goosebumps from this.

6. zxlaa - Apr 16, 2014 at 6:41 AM

I remember the footage on American news when it happened and the horror I felt then is not diminished to this day.

TERRIBLE…….

PST Extra: Can United beat Chelsea?