Apr 14, 2014, 2:53 PM EDT
Fans of the Premier League, you will likely get a good look next season at one of Italy’s brightest young stars.
Where he will end up, however, is the big question.
Agents are often difficult to trust, but if you believe the hired gun for 22-year-old Roma midfielder Federico Viviani, he’s feasibly headed to England for next season.
Prompted with a question about the Premier League, Agenziadelcalcio Football Management agent Giovanni Ferro told Calciomercato, “Yes, I will soon fly out to England. I prefer not to name the club in question, but we’ll see what happens.”
On loan at Serie B’s US Latina Calcio, Viviani recently captained the Italian U-21 side (he only just turned 22 in late March), and he scored his fourth goal of the season at Latina with a free kick in Saturday’s 4-1 win over Novara. Latina are just two points back of automatic promotion to Serie A.
Genoa and Dynamo Moscow have been rumored to show interest in the youngster, but as of yet no Premier League teams have been added to the mix.
A graduate of the Roma academy, he has not played for the senior side since debuting in the 2011/12 season. Ferro said any possible transfer decision will be made in conjunction with his club. “When I return from this trip, I’ll go to Trigoria and speak to the Roma directors, update them on the offers we’ve received and together choose the best solution for the player. He can still really improve a great deal. Any decision will be made along with Roma.”
The club has recent transfer history in the Premier League. They sold Erik Lamela to Tottenham this summer for a Spurs club-record fee, and they purchased Gervinho from Arsenal, who’s had a red-hot season at his new Serie A club.
Roma also sold Fabio Borini to Liverpool in the summer of 2012.
- Europa League Preview: Everton head to Russia, Spurs host Besiktas 0
- Report: Diego Maradona nearing deal to manage Palestinian National Team 1
- Three things we learned after Liverpool’s latest defeat, this time vs. Basel 5
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Arsenal cruise, Liverpool lose, Real Madrid win 1
- Arsenal 4-1 Galatasaray: Welbeck’s hat-trick leads 10-man Arsenal to victory 0
- Hat-Trick Hero: Danny Welbeck nails three in thumping of Galatasaray 1