Apr 14, 2014, 7:37 AM EDT
Imagine you’re on an airplane. Bells and whistles are ringing in every direction, the masks have fallen and the cabin is in a rapid decent towards the earth.
The pilot, instead of frantically searching for a way to regain control of the falling hunk of metal, is calmly sipping a cup of coffee smoking a cigar.
That’s the picture Spanish paper Marca has painted of the Barcelona dressing room.
According to the report, Barcelona manager Gerardo Martino has convinced those closest to him that he will likely not be around next season barring a miraculous turnaround, apparently remarking to his closest friends, “It’s easier to change one person than to change the lot.”
The club crashed out of the Champions League to rising stars Atletico Madrid before losing a shocker to Grenada, a club in 13th place and one they hadn’t lost to in 42 years.
Those two massive disappointments, coupled with the loss to Villarreal in early March, have people very concerned at the Nou Camp. Apparently, Martino’s team fitness training is more simplistic than in the recent past, failing to tailor each individual player’s regimen to his or her own needs.
The report also states Martino is lacking bite during those training sessions, with players often seen milling about when they should be working on training. Obviously some of that is on the players, but it’s ultimately the manager’s job to make sure they are on top of the players.
Defender Carlos Puyol came to Martino’s defense, telling reporters the team is to blame and that they “trust in” Martino and are “with him to the death and he is with us.”
- Premier League transfer window grades – Which team did the best business? 0
- Done Deal: Radamel Falcao completes move to Manchester United 3
- Done Deal: Better late than never, Arsenal seals deal with Welbeck 2
- Americans Abroad wrap: Guzan stays unbeaten, Lichaj & Bedoya thrive 1
- Done Deal: Listing all the Deadline Day deals from the Premier League 5
- Southampton sign Toby Alderweireld, add $18 million winger Sadio Mane 0