Apr 14, 2014, 7:37 AM EDT
Imagine you’re on an airplane. Bells and whistles are ringing in every direction, the masks have fallen and the cabin is in a rapid decent towards the earth.
The pilot, instead of frantically searching for a way to regain control of the falling hunk of metal, is calmly sipping a cup of coffee smoking a cigar.
That’s the picture Spanish paper Marca has painted of the Barcelona dressing room.
According to the report, Barcelona manager Gerardo Martino has convinced those closest to him that he will likely not be around next season barring a miraculous turnaround, apparently remarking to his closest friends, “It’s easier to change one person than to change the lot.”
The club crashed out of the Champions League to rising stars Atletico Madrid before losing a shocker to Grenada, a club in 13th place and one they hadn’t lost to in 42 years.
Those two massive disappointments, coupled with the loss to Villarreal in early March, have people very concerned at the Nou Camp. Apparently, Martino’s team fitness training is more simplistic than in the recent past, failing to tailor each individual player’s regimen to his or her own needs.
The report also states Martino is lacking bite during those training sessions, with players often seen milling about when they should be working on training. Obviously some of that is on the players, but it’s ultimately the manager’s job to make sure they are on top of the players.
Defender Carlos Puyol came to Martino’s defense, telling reporters the team is to blame and that they “trust in” Martino and are “with him to the death and he is with us.”
- U-20 World Cup preview: The groups, the favorites, USA outlook and the game’s future stars 0
- Gulati: U.S. Soccer will vote for Prince Ali bin Al-Hussein in FIFA election, not Sepp Blatter 5
- 2014-15 Premier League season review: Summer transfer needs 2
- Premier League 2014-15 review – Top 10 games of the season 4
- By the numbers: 2014-15 Premier League season in review 1
- Sepp Blatter transcript in full; admits “shame and humiliation” of FIFA scandal 4