Apr 14, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
There are plenty of ways to mourn the end of a UEFA Champions League campaign, but the decision by Danny Welbeck, Tom Cleverley and Ashley Young to hit the pubs and clubs after Manchester United’s quarterfinal ouster at the hands of Bayern Munich has put them in hot water.
Manchester United manager David Moyes has reportedly fined the trio at least one week’s wages in addition to giving them extra training after the three were caught out on the town mere hours after losing to Bayern.
From The Daily Mail:
The England internationals were photographed in Manchester city centre partying early into last Friday morning after returning from Munich on Thursday.
Manager David Moyes is understood to have called the three in for talks yesterday at United’s Carrington HQ before making them do extra training away from the rest of the first-team squad. All three players have been fined, although it is unclear whether they have been fined one or two weeks’ wages.
Every move made by Moyes is under the microscope and, while plenty of folks will think it fine for United players to let off some steam, the manager is certainly well within his rights to punish players dumb enough to get their antics caught on camera. As he’s constantly compared with Sir Alex Ferguson, certainly this will be a comparison he’s met with flying colors.
- What tomorrow’s goalkeeper platoon tells us about the U.S. goalkeeper void 0
- Jozy Altidore to captain U.S. Wednesday against Czech Republic 0
- With Radamel Falcao, can Manchester United challenge for the Premier League? 4
- Why Danny Welbeck’s move to Arsenal was the best Deadline Day deal 5
- EXCLUSIVE: Fresh off his club debut, young Emerson Hyndman takes his USMNT chance in stride 0
- From Prague, with love: Klinsmann previews USA’s friendly vs. Czech Republic 4