Apr 16, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
After a truly inspirational performance to lead his side past title rivals Manchester City, there’s no surprise that Steven Gerrard picked up the Player of the Week award this week.
He didn’t score, but Gerrard didn’t pretty much everything else as he worked tirelessly in the engine room to keep City’s attackers at bay. Gerrard, 33, has won every trophy possible with Liverpool in his illustrious 17-year career at Anfield… except the Premier League title.
With tears in his eyes at the final whistle last Sunday, Gerrard rallied his troops on the pitch at Anfield as the emotions of the Hillsborough anniversary and the tension in the title race got to him.
A big summer is coming up for Gerrard as England’s captain in Brazil at the World Cup, but he still has plenty of work to do in the final four games of the PL season if the Reds are to win their first title in 24 years.
After Steve G’s inspirational performances, it’s hard to bet against Liverpool winning this title.
- Matías Pérez García announced, becomes third Designated Player in San Jose history 0
- Is Everton’s new striker Romelu Lukaku worth $47 million? 4
- Simeone praises Klinsmann’s US program that “seduces us as coaches” 2
- Neymar’s recovery from World Cup back injury “almost 100 percent” 0
- Reports: Jermaine Jones coming to Chicago, move welcomed by Fire 2
- Atlético Madrid latest club linked with Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernández 4