Apr 17, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT
Amid criticism from upper management about his playing style and Bundesliga finish, Pep Guardiola has hinted that he could leave Bayern Munich.
Thanks to those reports, Barcelona legend Johan Cruyff would love the old boss back.
Let’s start at the beginning. Apparently, honorary Bayern president Franz Beckenbauer labeled Guardiola’s squad “unwatchable” and criticized Pep for not being able to motivate the squad once the league title was wrapped up.
This led the 43-year-old to hint that the end of the season could be the end of his tenure at Bayern.
For the full set of quotes from Guardiola, check out the writeup from our friends at Soccerly.com. Once Pep left the door open for his departure, the natural speculation began. Soccerly writes:
“Armed with the knowledge that Gerardo Martino would not be staying on as manager at the Camp Nou after exiting from all major competitions and failing to win La Liga, a door would be open to allow Guardiola’s spectacular return.”
Well, that’s exactly what Cruyff would like to see. The Dutch legend trashed the current squad, saying there are too many chiefs who want to do everything. Then he went on to say how a Guardiola return to the Camp Nou would be exactly what the doctor ordered.
Soccerly.com has all the information on the Dutchman’s scathing remarks. Cruyff also went on to support former president Joan Laporta, saying, “When Laporta was president, he let the people who knew football get on with it – first Txiki and Rijkaard and then Pep. Anyone can make mistakes, but they knew football and made their decisions based on that, while Laporta stuck to being the president and protecting them.”
Over at Soccerly, you can see:
- VIDEO: Can Manchester United beat Chelsea? PST Extra breaks it down 2
- MLS Atlanta urges David Beckham, Miami to share stadium with Dolphins 10
- Reality check: Outclassed by Real Madrid, what now for Liverpool? 0
- After winless October, USA drop out of top 20 in latest FIFA rankings 6
- PST’s MLS Rookie of the Year: Shipp, Hagglund, Akindele or Birnbaum? 0
- It’s official: World No. 3 Colombia to face USMNT in London on Nov. 14 0