Apr 18, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
Time is running out for U.S. national team head coach Jurgen Klinsmann before he names his initial squad for the pre-World Cup camp at Stanford University this summer.
Plenty of USMNT fans have plenty of questions for Klinsmann, as the preparations continue ahead of the two week camp at Stanford before the squad leaves for South America.
Speaking to U.S. national team press office Michael Kammarman in the latest edition of Road to the Roster, Klinsmann first discussed Jozy Altidore‘s situation at Sunderland before moving onto chatting about what he will be looking for from his squad in the final camp before naming his 23-man roster.
First, here are Klinsmann’s thoughts on Altidore:
“As a striker, scoring goals gives you the confidence you need going into the next game. From the extreme positive, the same could be said for Jozy right now at Sunderland, going through the extreme negative,” Klinsmann said “At the end of the day you have to manage those faces and we all hope that Jozy keeps his head up and stays positive and waits for his next opportunity. Sooner or later he is going to score… I know why he is not scoring goals for Sunderland. He is a very important part of our team going into this summer’s World Cup. I’m so convinced that he’s going to do well there.”
Speaking openly about plenty of other topics from youth development, the USMNT fans and what he is looking for from his squad at Stanford, Klinsmann was honest and engaging in the interview.
Check it out on U.S. Soccer, right here.
- What will Jurgen Klinsmann’s USMNT roster look like for 2015 Gold Cup? 2
- April Fools! The top gags that actually fooled soccer fans on this day 5
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Player of the Season 0
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Coach of the Season 0
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Team of the Season 3
- Who were biggest winners, losers from USMNT’s March friendlies? 5