Apr 18, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT
AZ Alkmaar have appointed Dutch legend Marco van Basten as their new manager at the end of this season.
Van Basten, 49, will take over AZ on a two-year deal this summer, after revealing he would not be staying on at fellow Dutch Eredivisie side Herenveen.
One U.S. national team player will benefit directly from van Basten’s appointment, as Aron Johannsson will have one of the greatest attackers in European soccer history to learn from every day on the training ground.
Surely that can only be a good thing for the USMNT?
Our friends over at Soccerly take up the story, as van Basten aims to continue building his coaching career back up.
Former Dutch star Marco van Basten will take charge of AZ Alkmaar on a two-year deal from this summer, the Eredivisie side announced on Friday.
“AZ and Marco van Basten verbally agreed on Thursday a contract through to the summer of 2016,” the club said in a statement. “The formalities will be sorted out in the coming days.”
Van Basten, 49, will succeed Dick Advocaat, who returned to the club for a second spell last October and led them to the quarter-finals of the Europa League, but they lie an underwhelming seventh in the Dutch top flight with two games remaining. However Van Basten’s coaching career has never matched the heights of his distinguished years as a player. As a player, Van Basten won the Ballon d’Or three times and famously scored a spectacular goal for the Netherlands in their victory over the Soviet Union in the 1988 European Championship final.
After four years in charge of the Netherlands and a brief spell with Ajax, Van Basten took over at Heerenveen in 2012, but he had already announced that he would leave the northern club at the end of this season.
What do you think about van Basten’s appointment in terms of Johannsson’s development at AZ?
- 2015 Gold Cup: With the rest of CONCACAF making strides, this is USMNT’s chance to show they are, too 3
- New York City mayor could give USWNT ticker tape parade in Manhattan 1
- After Women’s World Cup triumph, Wambach, Ellis face questions about 2016 Olympics 0
- 2015 Copa America: Champions Chile dominate Team of the Tournament 0
- 2015 Gold Cup preview: United States look to defend title 0
- Official: Andrea Pirlo announces his arrival at New York City FC (video) 9