Apr 18, 2014, 10:27 AM EDT
Rooney played in United’s UEFA Champions League quarterfinal defeat to Bayern Munich on April 9, but only after having a pain-killing injection in his toe.
However with a crunch match against his old club Everton coming up at Goodison Park on Sunday (Watch live on NBCSN, 11:10 a.m. ET and online via NBC Sports Live Extra) Rooney has made a rapid recovery.
Moyes gave an update on Rooney’s status, while also stating that another ex-Everton star will return to do battle against the Toffees.
“Rooney trained great this week and has been in really good form. We’re hopefully getting him back as he wasn’t quite right with his toe at times. He’s trained great though,” Moyes said. “Marouane Fellaini didn’t play against Bayern but we expect him back fit because he has trained all week.”
As for Robin van Persie, Moyes confirmed that United’s Dutch forward is still recovering in Holland and will be reassessed next week.
With Rooney back fit for the Red Devils, Moyes’ men will seriously look to scupper Everton’s hopes of finishing in the top four. The Red Devils are a wounded animal and will be aiming to win their final five PL games to try and sneak into the top five. Everton are nine points ahead of United but if Moyes’ men beat the team he managed for over a decade, and win their game in hand, the gap between United and the Toffees will be just three points.
Pressure is piling on Everton and with their prized prodigy Rooney and former manager set to return for to the stadium where they both made their names, could they deal a further blow to Everton’s top four chances?
- MLS Player of the Week — Week 8: Columbus Crew SC’s Ethan Finlay 0
- MLS Team of the Week — Stars of Week 8 0
- Not even allowed an appeal: CONCACAF confirms Bush suspension for Champions League final 2
- Premier League Playback: Chelsea brilliant, not boring, as title inches closer 0
- MLS official squashes rumor of emergency intra-MLS goalkeeper loan for CONCACAF Champions League final 11
- VIDEO: Premier League Player of the Week — Round 34 0