Apr 19, 2014, 1:07 PM EDT
Despite losing 3-1 to Tottenham Hotspur in Saturday’s early game, Fulham boss Felix Magath still insists that the Whites will be able to avoid relegation.
“We have to win our home games and if we make six points it could be enough. We will stay up,” said Magath.
This statement looks like it might have been made more to keep the players confidence up than to truly assert that Fulham have the quality needed to remain in the Premier League. After two wins in a row, the Whites’ woeful defense was on display once more, with Spurs easily losing their markers, taking advantage and scoring.
It’s true that Fulham certainly have a chance to win their two remaining home matches. Next week Hull City visit Craven Cottage, with the Tigers having lost eleven on the road. It looks like Hull are safe for next season, so their minds just might be on next month’s FA Cup final at Wembley.
Fulham’s final match sees Crystal Palace coming to town. With the Eagles now mathematically safe, it’s only the pride of Tony Pulis that might hamper Fulham’s chances.
Of course, there’s no telling where clubs will stand by the end of the weekend. It’s highly unlikely that Norwich will manage a win against Liverpool, and with Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal all waiting, it sure seems as though the Canaries are the team to beat. But one surprise win and Fulham’s grand plans could well be over.
Magath remains confident, however, saying, “I’m sure we will stay up, because there were reasons why we weren’t as good as Tottenham, but next week we will make it better. We unfortunately have three players injured or ill so we had to change the team and that made us a little bit uncertain.”
- On Jurgen Klinsmann and Michael Bradley and “playing out of position” 4
- Three things we learned from the USMNT’s late 1-1 draw in Switzerland 1
- Player ratings: Stars and flops for the USMNT in 1-1 draw at Switzerland 11
- Switzerland 1-1 USMNT: Another late equalizer cancels out Shea’s stunner 3
- VIDEO: Watch Brek Shea’s stunning free kick for USA against Switzerland 3
- Lineups out for USMNT vs. Switzerland: Williams, Morales, Shea come in; diamond in midfield 2