Apr 19, 2014, 7:43 PM EST
In time, Saturday may be seen as the day the Premier League was decided, with Chelsea’s upset loss to Sunderland at Stamford Bridge giving Liverpool more reason to believe the Premier League’s crown will finally make its way to Anfield. Thanks for 14 saves from Vito Mannone, the last place Black Cats were able to take full points from the title-contending Blues, giving Gus Poyet’s side four points from a weak that was supposed to leave them empty-handed. In the process, Chelsea lost control of its own title destiny.
Elsewhere, Swansea City, Crystal Palace, and Aston Villa earned valuable points in their quests to stay in the Premier League. Cardiff City, now in 18th, also helped their survival cause with a draw against visiting Stoke, while Fulham’s momentum was blunted when a 3-1 loss in North London ended the Cottagers’ two-match winning streak.
Here are all the goals and highlights from what could prove a memorable Saturday in the Premier League.
- At the half: Altidore, Shea have USMNT leading Chile 2-1 (video) 0
- Klinsmann goes 3-5-2 versus Chile; Shea and Yedlin on the wings 4
- Sheffield United 2-2 Tottenham: Eriksen sees Spurs to All-London final in absolute thriller 1
- Africa Cup of Nations roundup: Lots will be drawn to determine second place in Group D 0
- Queens Park Rangers’ Canadian winger Junior Hoilett on Toronto FC, relegation battles and more 0
- English FA charge Chelsea’s Diego Costa with violent conduct after stamp, may miss Man City match 1