Apr 20, 2014, 11:55 AM EST
Showing his support for the proposal, Miami-Dade County mayor Carlos Gimenez has thrown his support behind David Beckham’s proposal for an MLS stadium in Miami.
Coming under heavy fire, the proposal is vital to Beckham securing his bid for a new MLS franchise.
The biggest opponents of the new deal is the Miami Seaport Alliance who oversee the Miami port, arguing that a massive loss of jobs is at stake.
“Is it doable? Yes,” Gimenez said. “Is there anything there that I believe will hurt the port? At least at this point, no.”
Our partners at Soccerly.com wrote on the full story, saying:
PortMiami is Miami-Dade’s second-largest economic engine after tourism, the alliance says, contributing $27 billion annually to the local economy and supporting more than 207,000 jobs in South Florida. Gimenez said most people he had spoken to were either “neutral or in favor,” of the stadium.
See all of Gimenez’s quotes as well as a full writeup on the situation over at Soccerly.com.
- Red Bulls’ season could rest on the shoulders of Tim Cahill 0
- Can Thibaut Courtois surpass Manuel Neuer as the world’s best? 2
- Geoff Cameron talks Thanksgiving, Stoke City vs. Liverpool and more 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Manchester United, Chelsea, QPR 0
- Top Five storylines for Week 13 of the Premier League 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 13 0