Apr 20, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
Showing his support for the proposal, Miami-Dade County mayor Carlos Gimenez has thrown his support behind David Beckham’s proposal for an MLS stadium in Miami.
Coming under heavy fire, the proposal is vital to Beckham securing his bid for a new MLS franchise.
The biggest opponents of the new deal is the Miami Seaport Alliance who oversee the Miami port, arguing that a massive loss of jobs is at stake.
“Is it doable? Yes,” Gimenez said. “Is there anything there that I believe will hurt the port? At least at this point, no.”
Our partners at Soccerly.com wrote on the full story, saying:
PortMiami is Miami-Dade’s second-largest economic engine after tourism, the alliance says, contributing $27 billion annually to the local economy and supporting more than 207,000 jobs in South Florida. Gimenez said most people he had spoken to were either “neutral or in favor,” of the stadium.
See all of Gimenez’s quotes as well as a full writeup on the situation over at Soccerly.com.
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Liverpool 2
- VIDEO: Chelsea’s Eden Hazard dances around Barcelona to score magical goal 0
- Chelsea 2-2 Barcelona: Good-looking goals to spare in Maryland (video) 3
- Official: Miguel Herrera fired by Mexico days after Gold Cup win, alleged attack on journalist 18
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Benzema to Arsenal, Berahino to Tottenham 5
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Chelsea 1