Apr 20, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
At times, Real Salt Lake nearly gave away the points to the Portland but the Timbers simply could not finish. Yes, Nick Rimando was sensational –in particular while bailing out USMNT midfielder Kyle Beckerman’s nearly inconceivable back pass — but Portland would not bury the ball.
The Timbers fell to 0-3 on the road this season with Saturday’s 1-0 loss, complicating an already head-scratching start to the year that has Portland in second-to-last place out West at 0W-3L-4T.
And as the club continues to miss the win column, they are left ruing their all of their almosts and “What ifs?” As head coach Caleb Porter was talking about how much better the Timbers were than their opponents, Will Johnson was finding no wins in moral victories.
“I’m a little bit sick and tired of hearing that; it’s all about results,” Johnson said of drawing positives from the loss. “We have to step up and make plays, and there are plays out there that are there to be made. This is professional soccer, and when we get in those big moments we look like amateurs. So we have to face the reality that we have to be better.”
Porter’s confidence may be nauseating to some, and it’s starting to look a little silly this season. Sure it’s not necessary to push the panic button, especially for a coach, but at some point Portland has to wonder whether a little more urgency is the play. They lost five matches last season and have three L’s in 2014. Johnson’s talk is sounding a lot more inspiring than Porter’s resolve.
Maybe the combination will work out well.
- Russia wants full points from match abandoned after Akinfeev struck in head by flare (video) 0
- MLS preview: FC Dallas vs. Sounders, Whitecaps vs. Timbers headline Week 4 0
- Report: Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge to miss a month with hip injury 7
- EURO 2016 preview: Qualifying resumes for England, Spain, Germany, Italy 0
- Lionel Messi earns $1.4 million per week, tops Cristiano Ronaldo, Neymar as richest player 4
- Morgan Schneiderlin wants Southampton exit if they fail to make UEFA Champions League 4