Apr 20, 2014, 7:48 AM EDT
Welbeck has been used sparingly at United this year, even after Robin van Persie was sidelined long-term with injury.
The 23-year-old England international has started just once in the club’s last 11 matches, missing out on the squad altogether five times during that span. When he has played, he’s often been utilized out wide rather than as the featured striker.
Overall, he’s made 21 appearances this season in the Premier League, with just 13 of them starts. He’s started four times in the Champions League and four more times in the Capital One Cup.
According to the report in the Guardian, Welbeck has serious interest from Arsenal and Spurs, and it’s giving him second thoughts about his tenure at Old Trafford. There are two more years left on his deal with United, which runs out the summer of 2016.
Obviously a big deciding factor would be European games. With Manchester United needing Arsenal to win the FA Cup to secure Europa League play, Welbeck could also be enticed if the Gunners beat out Everton for the last Champions League slot.
December saw Moyes give mixed signals on his young striker. He questioned Welbeck’s training dedication, saying he wished the Manchester-born youngster would stick around with Rooney to put in extra work. However later in the month, he praised Welbeck’s influence after coming off the bench and scoring against Norwich.
Just last week, Welbeck was fined along with Tom Cleverley and Ashley Young for being out late after their Champions League second leg to Bayern Munich, despite not having another fixture for 10 days.
- Premier League Playback – Deadline Day madness, Chelsea’s ‘killers,’ Liverpool’s fluid-three 0
- LIVE Transfer Ticker – Deadline Day updates 1
- Reports: Manchester United nearing cut-price loan for Falcao 4
- Toronto FC fire Ryan Nelsen thanks to disappointing position and disparaging comments 1
- Leicester City 1-1 Arsenal: Home side holds strong for draw 3
- Done deal: Chelsea sign Loic Remy from QPR 0