Apr 20, 2014, 5:45 PM EST
Atletico Madrid is now three wins away from its first La Liga title since 1996, but Barcelona is doing what it can to prolong the race. Meanwhile, idle Real Madrid could only watch as it fell to third.
After 70 minutes of scoreless play, Miranda put Atletico on the scoreboard before a Diego Costa penalty in the 90th minute ensured that the hosts wouldn’t give any ground to Barca before the Blaugranas kicked off.
And there were concerns at Camp Nou thanks to a brilliant goal by Aritz Aduriz in the 50th minute, but Pedro equalized in the 72nd minute before — who else? — Lionel Messi netted his 26th La Liga goal of the season.
Celta Vigo is feeling much better about its La Liga life after a three-goal second half propelled it to a 4-2 win in a 6-point relegation scrap against Almeria. Nolito scored his 9th and 10th goals, one in each half, as the visitors spoiled the scene — and maybe season — of the hosts.
- Rayo Vallecano 3-1 Real Betis — The hosts led 3-0 by the 51st minute, coasting to make safety a near-certainty after a brutal start to the season.
- Osasuna 1-1 Valencia — Jonas canceled out Riera’s early goal with an 82nd minute goal.
- Sevilla 4-0 Granada — Three different goal scorers were aided by an own-goal, as Kevin Gameiro kept up his fine form with his 14th goal of the season and fifth in three matches.
- Real Sociedad 2-1 Espanyol— Barcelona’s “other” team continues to tumble as Sociedad rises, at least for a day, to sixth.
- Levante 0-0 Getafe – Goal differential keeps Getafe in the drop zone despite point.
- Malaga vs. Villarreal – Monday
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Manchester City, Arsenal, Saints to win 0
- Premier League Preview: Chelsea vs. Manchester City 0
- Ban upheld: Diego Costa to miss Saturday’s visit from Manchester City, 2 more 3
- Report: Liverpool hoping to buy Ings, loan striker back to Burnley for season 1
- David Beckham says progress still being made toward MLS stadium in Miami 1
- DONE DEAL: Mattia Destro, Juan Agudelo sign with new clubs AC Milan, New England Revolution 0