Apr 20, 2014, 6:41 PM EDT
Ale Bedoya’s goal before halftime almost didn’t happen; French U-21 starlet Jordan Veretout barely kept the ball in bounds before feeding a pass into the box.
But he did keep the ball in bounds, allowing Bedoya’s well-timed run to end with a thunderous half-volley past Valenciennes goalkeeper Macedo Novaes. The strike gave Nantes a second goal en route to a 6-2 win.
Bedoya, who turns 27 later this month, now has six goals in all competitions this season. That includes five in Ligue 1 play, with four coming away from home. He’s scored professionally in three countries.
Nantes rose to 11th on the table, while Valenciennes is six points shy of safety.
- MLS roundup: Goals galore as Sounders, Crew SC, Galaxy cruise to three points 0
- MLS Snapshot: LA Galaxy 2-1 Sporting Kansas City 0
- MLS Snapshot: Real Salt Lake 0-1 Vancouver Whitecaps 0
- MLS Snapshot: Columbus Crew SC 3-0 Orlando City SC 4
- Premier League Sunday preview: Can Spurs, Man City find hope versus Newcastle, West Ham? 0
- Premier League roundup: Chelsea closer to title; Leicester climb off the bottom 0