Apr 20, 2014, 6:41 PM EDT
Ale Bedoya’s goal before halftime almost didn’t happen; French U-21 starlet Jordan Veretout barely kept the ball in bounds before feeding a pass into the box.
But he did keep the ball in bounds, allowing Bedoya’s well-timed run to end with a thunderous half-volley past Valenciennes goalkeeper Macedo Novaes. The strike gave Nantes a second goal en route to a 6-2 win.
Bedoya, who turns 27 later this month, now has six goals in all competitions this season. That includes five in Ligue 1 play, with four coming away from home. He’s scored professionally in three countries.
Nantes rose to 11th on the table, while Valenciennes is six points shy of safety.
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Bayern Munich, Chelsea, Shakhtar go goal crazy 0
- Chelsea 6-0 Maribor: Hazard brace keeps Blues atop Group G 0
- AS Roma 1-7 Bayern Munich: Sublime Bayern smash Roma to go five points clear in Group E 0
- LIVE – Champions League half time update: Blowouts! Get your blowouts here! 0
- FOLLOW LIVE: At the half, unstoppable Bayern Munich up 5-0 at Roma 0
- CSKA Moscow 2-2 Manchester City: Citizens blow 2-0 lead, Champions League hopes in ruin 0