Apr 21, 2014, 9:28 PM EDT
Karl-Heinz Rummenigge (right) knows a thing or two about the World Cup, with two runners-up finishes for West Germany and a Bronze Ball. It’s worthwhile to pay attention when he speaks about matters of international soccer.
And maybe you’ll write it off as a high-five to a fellow German hero, but Rummenigge is pegging Jurgen Klinsmann’s team to handle its business in Group G come June.
“Two teams I’m seeing as favorites to qualify for the next round are Germany, and maybe this will surprise you, the States,” Rummenigge said.
“I believe they have an interesting team and I know Jurgen Klinsmann, who is totally motivated.”
Rummenigge was speaking on Jimmy Conrad’s KICKTV program during a tour of Bayern Munich’s facilities — the German is an executive for the reigning UEFA Champions League winners — so there was double the reasons for his US love.
Still, when we’re talking about a Group of Death, it’s nice to have as many former German captains in your corner as possible.
- WATCH: Premier League online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 9 0
- Chicago Fire 2-1 Houston Dynamo: Stoppage-time winner caps off Chicago comeback (VIDEO) 1
- Premier League Preview: Sunderland vs. Arsenal 0
- Still defending racial incident, seething at bite talk, Suarez returns for Barcelona 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks – Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 9 1