Apr 21, 2014, 5:39 PM EDT
Details continue to filter out regarding the expected firing of David Moyes as Manchester United manager, and it looks like Red Devils legend Ryan Giggs will have fellow admired United star Nicky Butt by his side in the dugout for the rest of 2014.
This comes from The Telegraph’s Mark Ogden, the same man who reported the impending firing early this morning. Giggs would be the acting manager while Butt assists him.
United has lost 10 games in 22 tries since the calendar turned. They lost just five Premier League matches under Sir Alex Ferguson in 2012-13.
A Manchester United spokesman told the AFP that “David Moyes has definitely not been sacked!” but refused to comment on the reports that he would be done by the end of the season.
Ogden’s report adds that:
Moyes is likely to receive compensation of one year’s salary rather than the remaining five years of his deal, with key performance targets having been missed in United’s worst campaign for almost a quarter of a century. He will be forced to endure the humiliation of reporting for training before the formalities of his departure are completed.
Butt, the former Manchester United and Newcastle United midfielder, has been the Manchester United U21 manager this season while Giggs would be sliding up from the roster to the manager’s seat after playing in just 21 matches this season.
This is the cover of tomorrow’s Telegraph:
- Big Spenders: Which Premier League clubs must go all-in on transfer deadline day? 0
- Done Deals: Recapping Man United (and others’) busy day — De Gea drama; Chicharito out; $56 million for Martial 0
- NO DEAL: David de Gea’s transfer to Real Madrid falls through as Man United paperwork arrives too late 3
- Report: De Gea moving to Madrid as Costa Rican hero Navas heads to Old Trafford 4
- Fireworks as transfer deadline passes in Germany: Draxler to Wolfsburg, Januzaj to Dortmund 2
- Premier League Playback: It’s time to change the Transfer Window rules 2