Apr 21, 2014, 5:39 PM EST
Details continue to filter out regarding the expected firing of David Moyes as Manchester United manager, and it looks like Red Devils legend Ryan Giggs will have fellow admired United star Nicky Butt by his side in the dugout for the rest of 2014.
This comes from The Telegraph’s Mark Ogden, the same man who reported the impending firing early this morning. Giggs would be the acting manager while Butt assists him.
United has lost 10 games in 22 tries since the calendar turned. They lost just five Premier League matches under Sir Alex Ferguson in 2012-13.
A Manchester United spokesman told the AFP that “David Moyes has definitely not been sacked!” but refused to comment on the reports that he would be done by the end of the season.
Ogden’s report adds that:
Moyes is likely to receive compensation of one year’s salary rather than the remaining five years of his deal, with key performance targets having been missed in United’s worst campaign for almost a quarter of a century. He will be forced to endure the humiliation of reporting for training before the formalities of his departure are completed.
Butt, the former Manchester United and Newcastle United midfielder, has been the Manchester United U21 manager this season while Giggs would be sliding up from the roster to the manager’s seat after playing in just 21 matches this season.
This is the cover of tomorrow’s Telegraph:
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: Spurs to snatch Laporte, Liverpool in for Reid 0
- Southampton 0-1 Swansea: Shelvey snatches win with sensational late strike 0
- Arsenal 5-0 Aston Villa: Gunners torch hapless Villa with deadly counters 0
- Diego Costa maintains his innocence, says “I’ve not done anything wrong” 4
- DONE DEAL: Seydou Doumbia to Roma headlines quiet Saturday for transfers 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Top-half teams jockey for position 0