Apr 21, 2014, 8:22 PM EDT
In a charity match where nearly everyone wins, it’s fitting that the Liverpool XI and Global XI drew 2-2 on Monday at a sold-out Anfield.
The ‘Celebration of the 96‘ was organized by the Hillsborough Family Support Group to raise funds for the victims and families of the Hillsborough disaster and to “celebrate the lives of the 96 people who died at the stadium disaster on April 15, 1989.”
Robbie Fowler scored twice for the local squad, while Vladimir Smicer and Bruno Cheyrou scored for the international side.
All players wore the number 96 on their kits.
Local legends team: James, Jones, McAteer, Burrows, McAllister, Thomas, Barnes, McManaman, Owen, Fowler, Wright, Wark, Kennedy, McMahon, Thompson, Redknapp, Whelan, Rush, Aldridge.
International legends team: Westerveld, Babbel, Hyypia, Bjornebye, Kvarme, Hamann, Molby, Cheyrou, Smicer, Garcia, Litmanen, Xavier, Diao, Heggem, Bishop.
- James Rodriguez to be unveiled by Real Madrid on Tuesday, join club for U.S. tour 1
- Xavi Hernández reportedly inching closer to New York City FC 7
- New report kicks off another round of Las Vegas expansion talk for MLS 1
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Sporting Kansas City’s Benny Feilhaber 0
- Qatar/Russia World Cup bidding investigation delayed until September 6
- Report: Bayern Munich confirms Julian Green on first team for US trip 10