Apr 21, 2014, 8:22 PM EST
In a charity match where nearly everyone wins, it’s fitting that the Liverpool XI and Global XI drew 2-2 on Monday at a sold-out Anfield.
The ‘Celebration of the 96‘ was organized by the Hillsborough Family Support Group to raise funds for the victims and families of the Hillsborough disaster and to “celebrate the lives of the 96 people who died at the stadium disaster on April 15, 1989.”
Robbie Fowler scored twice for the local squad, while Vladimir Smicer and Bruno Cheyrou scored for the international side.
All players wore the number 96 on their kits.
Local legends team: James, Jones, McAteer, Burrows, McAllister, Thomas, Barnes, McManaman, Owen, Fowler, Wright, Wark, Kennedy, McMahon, Thompson, Redknapp, Whelan, Rush, Aldridge.
International legends team: Westerveld, Babbel, Hyypia, Bjornebye, Kvarme, Hamann, Molby, Cheyrou, Smicer, Garcia, Litmanen, Xavier, Diao, Heggem, Bishop.
- Promotion Watch: Leaders Derby, Middlesbrough fighting Watford, Bournemouth for PL places 0
- WATCH: Michael Bradley, Sebastian Giovinco combine for Jozy Altidore’s first Toronto FC goal 4
- Premier League Sunday preview: Big boys tangle ahead of League Cup final 0
- Bundesliga wrap: Dortmund and Bayern flying high with big goal performances 0
- Premier League roundup: Manchester United go third, tight wins elsewhere 0
- Manchester United’s two-goal hero Wayne Rooney hails “deserved win.” Should he stay up front? 1