Apr 21, 2014, 8:22 PM EDT
In a charity match where nearly everyone wins, it’s fitting that the Liverpool XI and Global XI drew 2-2 on Monday at a sold-out Anfield.
The ‘Celebration of the 96‘ was organized by the Hillsborough Family Support Group to raise funds for the victims and families of the Hillsborough disaster and to “celebrate the lives of the 96 people who died at the stadium disaster on April 15, 1989.”
Robbie Fowler scored twice for the local squad, while Vladimir Smicer and Bruno Cheyrou scored for the international side.
All players wore the number 96 on their kits.
Local legends team: James, Jones, McAteer, Burrows, McAllister, Thomas, Barnes, McManaman, Owen, Fowler, Wright, Wark, Kennedy, McMahon, Thompson, Redknapp, Whelan, Rush, Aldridge.
International legends team: Westerveld, Babbel, Hyypia, Bjornebye, Kvarme, Hamann, Molby, Cheyrou, Smicer, Garcia, Litmanen, Xavier, Diao, Heggem, Bishop.
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Liverpool win late; Real Madrid, Dortmund victorious 0
- Borussia Dortmund 2-0 Arsenal: Gunners outclassed by BVB 2
- Liverpool 2-1 Ludogorets: Gerrard grabs last-gasp winner after scare 0
- Premier League player of month on pace for 67 goals (video) 0
- Open Cup final preview: Is a championship coming to Philly tonight? 0
- Arsenal’s defending depth fears could be on display against Dortmund 5