Apr 21, 2014, 8:22 PM EST
In a charity match where nearly everyone wins, it’s fitting that the Liverpool XI and Global XI drew 2-2 on Monday at a sold-out Anfield.
The ‘Celebration of the 96‘ was organized by the Hillsborough Family Support Group to raise funds for the victims and families of the Hillsborough disaster and to “celebrate the lives of the 96 people who died at the stadium disaster on April 15, 1989.”
Robbie Fowler scored twice for the local squad, while Vladimir Smicer and Bruno Cheyrou scored for the international side.
All players wore the number 96 on their kits.
Local legends team: James, Jones, McAteer, Burrows, McAllister, Thomas, Barnes, McManaman, Owen, Fowler, Wright, Wark, Kennedy, McMahon, Thompson, Redknapp, Whelan, Rush, Aldridge.
International legends team: Westerveld, Babbel, Hyypia, Bjornebye, Kvarme, Hamann, Molby, Cheyrou, Smicer, Garcia, Litmanen, Xavier, Diao, Heggem, Bishop.
- Premier League transfer needs: What’s been done and what’s left to do by Monday? 1
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 23 0
- Geoff Cameron predicts Super Bowl XLIX win for his New England Patriots 1
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Manchester City, Arsenal, Saints to win 0
- Premier League Preview: Chelsea vs. Manchester City 0
- Ban upheld: Diego Costa to miss Saturday’s visit from Manchester City, 2 more 3