Apr 21, 2014, 8:22 PM EST
In a charity match where nearly everyone wins, it’s fitting that the Liverpool XI and Global XI drew 2-2 on Monday at a sold-out Anfield.
The ‘Celebration of the 96‘ was organized by the Hillsborough Family Support Group to raise funds for the victims and families of the Hillsborough disaster and to “celebrate the lives of the 96 people who died at the stadium disaster on April 15, 1989.”
Robbie Fowler scored twice for the local squad, while Vladimir Smicer and Bruno Cheyrou scored for the international side.
All players wore the number 96 on their kits.
Local legends team: James, Jones, McAteer, Burrows, McAllister, Thomas, Barnes, McManaman, Owen, Fowler, Wright, Wark, Kennedy, McMahon, Thompson, Redknapp, Whelan, Rush, Aldridge.
International legends team: Westerveld, Babbel, Hyypia, Bjornebye, Kvarme, Hamann, Molby, Cheyrou, Smicer, Garcia, Litmanen, Xavier, Diao, Heggem, Bishop.
- Paul Scholes: Thierry Henry’s legendary goal vs. Man United was my fault 2
- Premier League Power Rankings: Arsenal, Everton rising, Saints falling 3
- Robbie Rogers: FIFA “insane” to host World Cups in Russia, Qatar 6
- Stoke City confirm Brek Shea is finalizing move to Orlando City 1
- Soccer stadium approved in Las Vegas, as MLS expansion talk heats up in Sin City 3
- Borussia Dortmund’s Marco Reus fined $665,000 for driving without a license 1