Apr 22, 2014, 6:15 AM EDT
The worst kept secret in soccer is out: on Tuesday morning David Moyes was fired as manager of Manchester United.
United released an extremely short statement on their website as Moyes was dismissed after less than a season in charge at Old Trafford. The 50-year-old Scotsman was reportedly told his fate at an early morning meeting, as club legend Ryan Giggs will now take charge of first team matters for the final four games of the current campaign.
Moys spent just nine months and 22 days in charge at United, and here is all the club had to say on his dismissal.
“Manchester United has announced that David Moyes has left the Club. The Club would like to place on record its thanks for the hard work, honesty and integrity he brought to the role.”
Moyes won 27 of his 51 games in charge of United, losing 15 and drawing nine with a win percentage of just 52.9 percent. The Red Devils will finish outside of the top four for the first time ever in the Premier League era, as their title defense has gone horribly wrong. Moyes simply wasn’t up to the job, as the most successful team in English soccer has been reduced to mediocre, at best, for most of the season.
Watch the brilliant video above which showcases exactly where Moyes went wrong.
- The great Southampton exodus continues. Why is this happening? 1
- Arsenal confirm $27 million signing of Calum Chambers 0
- Manchester City host #AskJesus (Navas) Twitter chat, hilarious comments ensue 1
- VIDEO: Mario Balotelli takes amazing selfie with two pitch invaders 1
- Teams confirm Dejan Lovren completes transfer from Southampton to Liverpool 0
- Loïc Rémy fails medical, move to Liverpool is off 5