Apr 23, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
Craft beer is all the rage these days, especially when it’s the Rage (literally, Greenbush Brewing brews it).
DC United is one of several clubs to have a partnership with a local brewery, with the limited release golden ale “The Tradition” coming from DC Brau. It was rolled out at official DC United supporters bars and named by United fans.
So it’s not a surprise to hear that DC goalkeeper Andrew Dykstra has taken an interest in brewing himself, especially when you consider how massive homebrewing has become in the U.S.
And while the DC United site points out that he hasn’t found his stride yet — one of his batches tasted like gasoline — perhaps there’s a budding brewer in DC.
“It goes back to college,” Dykstra recalled. “My roommate was a Chemistry major and became interested in beer. Every time we would go to the store, we would pick up something we never tried.”
Once they figured out which beers they enjoyed and which they could do without, the brewing began.
“It came to the point where he ended up brewing these five-gallon batches for the guys on the team. When I moved out on my own, I said I would like to do that but on a smaller scale, where there is more turnover and I can experiment a bit more. I got a starter kit in our off season and went from there.”
Who else is brewing up soccer-themed beer? Plenty of folks. Red Hook makes a beer for Seattle’s Emerald City Supporters, while Widmer Brothers in Portland shares the Timbers love via Green & Gold Kolsch.
And of course there are the fine folks at Free Beer Movement, who will buy prospective fans a pint if they want to watch a match with them.
- Aston Villa 2-1 Liverpool: Gerrard denied fairytale ending as Villa stun Reds, reach FA Cup final 2
- Jose Mourinho: Chelsea had Manchester United’s stars “in our pockets.” Is he right? 0
- Manchester City 2-0 West Ham: Two first half goals put down poor Hammers 0
- Borussia Dortmund names Thomas Tuchel as Jurgen Klopp’s successor 0
- MLS roundup: Goals galore as Sounders, Crew SC, Galaxy cruise to three points 1
- MLS Snapshot: LA Galaxy 2-1 Sporting Kansas City 0