Moyes statement on dismissal; Reports say he was recruiting to the end

Apr 23, 2014, 1:28 PM EST

The League Managers Association has released a statement from David Moyes, giving the world its first glimpse into how the former Manchester United boss is reacting to his Red Devils dismissal after less than a year in charge of the club. Here’s the entire statement, from The Irish Times:

“To have been appointed as manager of Manchester United, one of the biggest football clubs in the world, was and remains something of which I will always be incredibly proud.

“Taking charge after such a long period of continuous stability and success at the club was inevitably going to be a significant challenge, but it was one which I relished and never had a second thought about taking on.

“The scale of the manager’s job at United is immense, but I have never stepped away from hard work and the same applies to my coaching staff. I thank them for their dedication and loyalty throughout the last season.

“We were fully focused and committed to the process of the fundamental rebuilding that is required for the senior squad. This had to be achieved whilst delivering positive results in the Barclays Premier League and the Champions League. However, during this period of transition, performances and results have not been what Manchester United and its fans are used to or expect, and I both understand and share their frustration.

“In my short time at the club I have learnt what special places Old Trafford and Carrington are. I would like to thank the United staff for making me feel so welcome and part of the United family from my first day. And of course thank you to those fans who have supported me throughout the season. I wish you and the club all the best for the future.

“I have always believed that a manager never stops learning during his career and I know I will take invaluable experience from my time as United’s manager. I remain proud to have led the team to the quarter finals of this year’s Champions League and I remain grateful to Sir Alex Ferguson for believing in my ability and giving me the chance to manage Manchester United.”

source: Getty ImagesAs for the way it ended, the LMA is frustrated by the way the news came out before Moyes had any knowledge.

The Mirror says Moyes was recruiting players for the summer transfer window as recently as Monday, with Toni Kroos of Bayern Munich and Luke Shaw of Southampton getting an aggressive approach to come to Old Trafford.

And The Mirror says he was very, very angry:

Insiders have revealed Moyes was seething when he heard from Woodward – and that was before discussions over his pay-off.

The 50-year-old called in Richard Bevan, head of the managers’ union the LMA, to make sure United pay what is due to him, which may be a year’s money at around £5million.

Moyes is seen as having a strong sense of ethics, and refused to speak to Everton before they had sacked their then-boss Walter Smith.

Even a club as big as Manchester United needs to have a better handle on how news comes out. “Sources” can be nefarious forces, but with such a major decision, well, it’s easy to understand the anger from Moyes. Many folks are pointing out that the manager did not thank the players in his statement. Maybe that’s noteworthy… and maybe we’ll get a non-fiction “The Damned Utd” out of the deal… even if that’s not Moyes’ style.

1. blugold94 - Apr 23, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Now that the Man U portion of Moyes career has ended I think a couple of “narratives” that seem to have gained a lot of strength recently can be broken down:

1) The fallacy that players just wouldn’t play for Moyes. Just this week Tim Howard and now Landon Donavan have been very strong is saying how much they enjoyed playing for Moyes…and many other Everton players under Moyes have said the same thing. This seems to be more of an issue for the Man U players than Moyes…..I think Moyes will be only one of many leaving Old Trafford even with the players IMHO, trying to pin it all on the manager.

2) The other fallacy that Moyes was somehow holding Everton back. That Roberto Martinez has been so good in producing results and attractive soccer to Goodison doesn’t equal that Moyes wasn’t getting close to the potential of the club. Last season Martinez managed the 18th place team in the BPL. He was still a brilliant mind but there’s so much you can do without top talent. Moyes left a fantastic foundation that Martinez has built on. That isn’t a negative towards Moyes….which leads to

3) Man U can’t let Moyes spend $200 million during the transfer window because he can’t be trusted to build after the Fellaini debacle. Moyes showed over 11 years at Everton that he can build a team…..not in the Man U way but in the way that Everton had to with their resources. That doesn’t mean he could do it with Man U’s budget but it also doesn’t mean he couldn’t have.

Bottom line…..Moyes will be just fine and will have offers from all over Europe and the US for his next job. The man does have great ethics and will probably get another chance like he did at Everton to bring a club back up from mid-table or worse…..and that club will have a good manager for the task. Man U looks worse now with how they leaked it before letting him know…..but money will help them get back eventually.

2. mazblast - Apr 23, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Players will play for Moyes. It’s the Man U players, apparently more wedded to their high paychecks and their loyalty to Ferguson’s legacy than to actually playing, who wouldn’t play for him. It’s also possible that they couldn’t, that age has taken its toll, and that part of Sir Alex’ retirement was his realization that a decline was coming.

I don’t know how it works in English football, but here in America, fired coaches spend a year spouting pre-written platitudes on ESPN and such, sucking up to the favored teams, meanwhile collecting their remaining pay from their old teams, before moving on to another position. It’s a low-stress, paid vacation for them. Moyes should try it, if such a thing is prevalent in the UK. And based on how the news was leaked, he should hold out for every pound in his contract.

I won’t excuse Moyes from responsibility, though. He looked to not be up to the job from day one. I don’t know just how one succeeds a legend, but being conservative and patient/indecisive isn’t the way. I wish him all the success in the world going forward.

3. jcsprenger - Apr 23, 2014 at 6:12 PM

” it’s first glimpse ” Come on, Man, Nicholas, you know better than confusing “its” with it’s”; that is a basic mistake in English, unless of course this is not your first language

• Nicholas Mendola - Apr 23, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Thanks for catching that. You write 600+ posts in a few months and you miss somethings, you know? Cheers.

• footballer4ever - Apr 23, 2014 at 11:56 PM

PST readers can be quite a demanding, nitpicking and unforgiving ones when it comes to spelling or anything with grammar errors. Some of them make their living out of findingand pointing out errors with pride. You might want to consider to involve those individuals into a non-paying proof reading gig, but one that would make them feel proud of themselves. ;)

PST Extra: Top 4 showdowns on Sunday