Apr 23, 2014, 3:36 PM EDT
As the old saying goes ‘every dog has his day.’ That certainly rang true in the Premier League over the last week.
Haunted by relegation for much of the 2013-14 campaign, plenty of players from bottom dwellers came up big last weekend.
Sunderland shocked Chelsea, as three of their players made the best XI. Goalkeeper Vito Mannone, defender Wes Brown and striker Connor Wickham were the solid spine of the Black Cats side we kept their hopes of staying up alive after becoming the first-ever team to beat Chelsea at home under Mourinho in the league.
Swansea City’s two-goal hero Wilfried Bony also made the list, as his goals gave the Swans a vital win away at Newcastle to all but end their relegation fears. Crystal Palace had Scott Dann and Mile Jedinak also in the lineup, as the Eagles made it five wins on the spin by beating West Ham last weekend.
The two teams from North London also got some nods, as Lukas Podolski scored four times in two games for Arsenal and his teammate Aaron Ramsey also got in on the act. As for Spurs, they dispatched Fulham with the hugely impressive Christian Eriksen tallying assists and Younes Kaboul also getting in the team after banging in his first goal since 2011.
To find out the full Premier League Team of the Week, watch the video above and enjoy.
- United States wins third Women’s World Cup title, beats Japan on record-smashing day 2
- VIDEO: Watch every goal as USA lead Japan 4-1 in crazy first half of World Cup final 1
- VIDEO: Lloyd seals amazing 16 minute hat trick with wonder goal from halfway 2
- Sunday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Manchester City ready to spend, Spurs agree for Alderweireld 0
- Sepp Blatter claims French and German presidents influenced World Cup voters 1
- United States, Japan meet in Women’s World Cup final with high hopes back home 2