Apr 23, 2014, 3:36 PM EDT
As the old saying goes ‘every dog has his day.’ That certainly rang true in the Premier League over the last week.
Haunted by relegation for much of the 2013-14 campaign, plenty of players from bottom dwellers came up big last weekend.
Sunderland shocked Chelsea, as three of their players made the best XI. Goalkeeper Vito Mannone, defender Wes Brown and striker Connor Wickham were the solid spine of the Black Cats side we kept their hopes of staying up alive after becoming the first-ever team to beat Chelsea at home under Mourinho in the league.
Swansea City’s two-goal hero Wilfried Bony also made the list, as his goals gave the Swans a vital win away at Newcastle to all but end their relegation fears. Crystal Palace had Scott Dann and Mile Jedinak also in the lineup, as the Eagles made it five wins on the spin by beating West Ham last weekend.
The two teams from North London also got some nods, as Lukas Podolski scored four times in two games for Arsenal and his teammate Aaron Ramsey also got in on the act. As for Spurs, they dispatched Fulham with the hugely impressive Christian Eriksen tallying assists and Younes Kaboul also getting in the team after banging in his first goal since 2011.
To find out the full Premier League Team of the Week, watch the video above and enjoy.
- Arsenal’s striker fears grow: Danny Welbeck has surgery, out long-term 1
- USMNT move up one spot in latest FIFA World rankings 1
- Klinsmann confirms Brad Guzan will start Confederations Cup playoff in goal 4
- Full list of every transfer made by Premier League clubs during the Summer Transfer Window 0
- Manchester United fires back on De Gea saga, laying blame at feet of Real Madrid 1
- GRADES: How did each Premier League team fare in the Summer Transfer Window? 7