Apr 25, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
With three games go in the 2013-14 Premier League season, Liverpool are five points ahead of second-placed Chelsea as the Merseyside outfit are clear at the summit.
Manchester City have a game in hand and could reduce the gap to three points, but the Reds are well and truly in the driving seat heading into the penultimate weekend of this incredible PL season.
Speaking to a Spanish language TV station, Suarez, 27, admitted that even Liverpool’s players are shocked at how far they’ve come this season, as Brendan Rodgers‘ side finished in seventh place last year and are now on the brink of delivering the clubs first-ever PL title.
Pleasantly surprised and shocked, this is what Suarez had to say.
“To win the title would be something that no one would believe,” Suarez said. “The truth is we’re surprised ourselves at how well we’re playing. We have good players who are demonstrating why they are playing for Liverpool. It would be something amazing because of the investment made by Chelsea, Manchester City and Arsenal. Even Tottenham have spent over £100m. We, with so little investment, are in this position. It would be incredible.”
It goes to show that even inside Liverpool’s dressing room, the players are pinching themselves at how they’ve developed into a title challenging side over the last 12 months.
Suarez — who has scored 30 goals in 30 PL appearances this season — has been the main reason Liverpool are on the brink of achieving something truly spectacular, as nobody gave them a chance of winning the PL crown at the start of the current campaign.
Now, they are two wins and a draw from clinching one of the biggest shocks in Premier League history. You better believe it Luis, you’ve almost done it.
- Europa League Preview: Everton head to Russia, Spurs host Besiktas 0
- Report: Diego Maradona nearing deal to manage Palestinian National Team 1
- Three things we learned after Liverpool’s latest defeat, this time vs. Basel 5
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Arsenal cruise, Liverpool lose, Real Madrid win 1
- Arsenal 4-1 Galatasaray: Welbeck’s hat-trick leads 10-man Arsenal to victory 0
- Hat-Trick Hero: Danny Welbeck nails three in thumping of Galatasaray 1