Apr 25, 2014, 2:12 PM EDT
Following the sad news of Tito Vilanova’s death on Friday, the soccer community around the globe has paid tribute to the former FC Barcelona head coach.
Messages from former players he coached at Barca, rival clubs and a whole host of others flooded as the sad news reverberated across the world.
Vilanova, who was just 45, has given the world so much through his soccer expertise and he will be sorely missed by everyone. The man who was an integral part of building one of the greatest ever teams Barcelona, and the world, has ever seen will be rightly remembered as a tactical genius in the game.
Here are just some of the moving message from all over the world, as soccer mourns the loss of one of the great coaches who left us far too early.
Three of Vilanova’s former players at Barcelona have taken to Twitter to show their love for Vilanova.
(My most heartfelt condolences to the families and friends of Tito Vilanova. Has always been an example with their struggle. You will never be forgotten. DEP)
Chelsea boss and former FC Barcelona translator and assistant coach Jose Mourinho.
Spanish international and Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea sent his respects to Vilanova.
England national team manager Roy Hodgson and the English FA sent their condolences, as well as England international Jack Wilshere.
Manchester City and Argentine international striker Sergio Aguero.
Italian champions Juventus and their manager Antonio Conte also lauded Vilanova’s impact.
Other clubs to pay their respects to Vilanova were Barcelona’s crosstown rivals Espanyol and European foes, Manchester United.
- MLS Player of the Week — Week 8: Columbus Crew SC’s Ethan Finlay 0
- MLS Team of the Week — Stars of Week 8 0
- Not even allowed an appeal: CONCACAF confirms Bush suspension for Champions League final 2
- Premier League Playback: Chelsea brilliant, not boring, as title inches closer 0
- MLS official squashes rumor of emergency intra-MLS goalkeeper loan for CONCACAF Champions League final 11
- VIDEO: Premier League Player of the Week — Round 34 0