Apr 25, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT
Due to the widely covered failure by Brazilian stadium construction teams to meet deadlines, FIFA has been left clueless on ticket sale figures.
Thanks to serious delays in the completion of the World Cup stadiums, FIFA has announced they are withholding seven percent of tickets for the big dance this summer in the event that seats have to be left unfinished.
With just two months to go before the World Cup kicks off on June 12, some stadiums such as the Arena Corinthians in Sao Paulo have dealt with build-site failures and disasters that have caused injury or death to workers in the area.
Even those that didn’t suffer setbacks, such as Curitiba’s Arena de Baixada (pictured), are behind schedule, and it’s causing friction with FIFA World Cup officials.
Our partners at Soccerly.com have the full coverage, including how the delays are infuriating those at the top of FIFA’s preparation committees.
The country has failed to meet the FIFA-imposed deadlines on a few venues and the world’s largest sporting event is scheduled to kick off on June 12 in Sao Paulo, which of course is now less than two months away. Time is ticking and according to Thierry Weil, the marketing director for FIFA, it is becoming very frustrating for the world’s governing body of soccer and fans alike.
Curitiba’s problems and delays are so bad, rumors are swirling that Arena de Baixada could be the first-ever stadium booted from hosting matches for not being completed.
In addition, many infrastructure improvements are well behind schedule, including transportation upgrades to roads, railways, bus lines, and airports. The delays are so bad that many cities have scrapped upgrade projects altogether.
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 0
- Report: AZ Alkmaar speaking with Werder Bremen about Aron Johannsson 0
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 4
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 8
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 7
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 5