Apr 25, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT
Due to the widely covered failure by Brazilian stadium construction teams to meet deadlines, FIFA has been left clueless on ticket sale figures.
Thanks to serious delays in the completion of the World Cup stadiums, FIFA has announced they are withholding seven percent of tickets for the big dance this summer in the event that seats have to be left unfinished.
With just two months to go before the World Cup kicks off on June 12, some stadiums such as the Arena Corinthians in Sao Paulo have dealt with build-site failures and disasters that have caused injury or death to workers in the area.
Even those that didn’t suffer setbacks, such as Curitiba’s Arena de Baixada (pictured), are behind schedule, and it’s causing friction with FIFA World Cup officials.
Our partners at Soccerly.com have the full coverage, including how the delays are infuriating those at the top of FIFA’s preparation committees.
The country has failed to meet the FIFA-imposed deadlines on a few venues and the world’s largest sporting event is scheduled to kick off on June 12 in Sao Paulo, which of course is now less than two months away. Time is ticking and according to Thierry Weil, the marketing director for FIFA, it is becoming very frustrating for the world’s governing body of soccer and fans alike.
Curitiba’s problems and delays are so bad, rumors are swirling that Arena de Baixada could be the first-ever stadium booted from hosting matches for not being completed.
In addition, many infrastructure improvements are well behind schedule, including transportation upgrades to roads, railways, bus lines, and airports. The delays are so bad that many cities have scrapped upgrade projects altogether.
- Klinsmann on USMNT’s win over Guatemala: “I’m not happy with that performance” 0
- USMNT player ratings: How Klinsmann’s men fared against Guatemala 1
- USA 4-0 Guatemala: USMNT cruises into Gold Cup with win in Nashville 0
- World players’ union FIFPro opens door to women for first time in 50-year history 0
- How will USMNT line up vs. Guatemala in final pre-Gold Cup friendly? 3
- Chile vs. Argentina – Three key battles that will decide the Copa America final 0