Apr 25, 2014, 8:57 PM EST
The 35-year-old will be 39 when his deal is up, and although we now have some answers, there are still a few questions to be answered.
“I’ll be on a beach somewhere when I’m 40,” Howard told ESPNFC.com.
“I would pretty much take that to the bank that I won’t be playing past 40. There are other things I want to achieve in life, other things that I want to do.”
Howard’s announcement means he will not return home to join the MLS, unless an unforseen transfer or loan takes place between now and the expiry of his contract.
“Up until last week it was a possibility,” Howard said of an MLS return. “But I think that ship has sailed for me now. I think MLS had its chance, if I’m being honest, but now I’ll finish my career with Everton and be a happy man.”
However, it is unclear whether Howard will put himself in the running for the United States goalkeeping gig in the 2018 World Cup in Russia. The World Cup will take place just a month after his contract expires.
The New Jersey product joined Everton from Manchester United back in 2007, and played seven seasons under David Moyes at Goodison Park before Moyes left to coach at Old Trafford.
During his time at Goodison, Howard has played no less than 36 Premier League matches in any season, a testament to his incredible durability. He played in the Europa League with Everton a number of times, and also appeared in the Champions League during his time at Manchester United.
Howard has expressed a desire to join the broadcast booth once his career is over, and has made many appearances with NBC this season next to Arlo White commentating in the Premier League.
- VIDEO: PST Extra examines huge top four showdowns in Premier League 0
- Huge blow for Arsenal as Jack Wilshere is out for three months 0
- Bob Bradley talks Stabaek, job offers, offseason plans and more 0
- USA drop five places in latest FIFA world rankings; England on the up 1
- Despite their struggles, Liverpool’s season intact as spirit shines through 4
- Champions League roundup: Arsenal, Atletico Madrid through, tense elsewhere 3