Apr 26, 2014, 12:49 PM EDT
Fulham were out of the relegation zone with 15 minutes to go of their crunch home game with Hull City on Saturday.
Then it all went horribly wrong.
2-0 up and cruising, the Cottagers imploded after conceding two sloppy goals to hand Hull a point and put a serious dent in their hopes of staying in the Premier League.
First Sasha Reither saw the ball ricochet up and over his head after a challenge to stop a Hull tackle, the ball then cannoned off the bar and fell straight to Nikica Jealvic who nodded home to make it 2-1. Then with three minutes to go Fulham switched off and allowed Shane Long to nod home at the back post and make it 2-2.
When all is said and done at the end of the 2013-14 campaign, manager Felix Magath and Fulham may look back to the two points they threw away away against Hull City as the crucial factor in the Cottagers season.
“We are very disappointed because we have played very well and were leading 2-0,” Magath said. “Then unfortunately we made a goal for them and we got pressured. It was only a point. Today we had to get three points and we only got one, so we are disappointed. At the moment, we lost two points and that is bad. We have to go on and we have a chance to take six points from the next two games.”
Fulham’s two remaining games are more favorable than the teams around them, so they still have hope of retaining their PL status. They travel Stoke City next weekend before hosting London rivals Crystal Palace on the final day of the season.
The home fans would’ve hoped their side would be out of the drop zone by the time those matches roll around, but now Fulham are still one point from safety and have it all to do to stay in the top-flight.
Can Magath’s men bounce back from a draw that will likely feel like a loss?
- Klinsmann’s USMNT struggles, experimentation in friendlies: Does it really matter? 2
- Klinsmann explains philosophy behind mad scientist lineups, formations for USMNT 4
- Russia wants full points from match abandoned after Akinfeev struck in head by flare (video) 0
- MLS preview: FC Dallas vs. Sounders, Whitecaps vs. Timbers headline Week 4 0
- Report: Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge to miss a month with hip injury 7
- EURO 2016 preview: Qualifying resumes for England, Spain, Germany, Italy 0